Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clunking Noise Shifting From 1st To 2nd

Old 12-03-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I finally thought I had everything fixed, feels like thats not the case....

I got a brand new stock clutch and Lightweight Flywheel put in last week and it drove so much better with it not slipping. This morning I was in a hurry to get to a meeting with Co-workers and I was driving fairly "aggressively" (shifting at 5000-5500 rpms)

First gear felt like it wasn't "pulling" like it should but I was in a hurry and didn't think much of it. When I pushed in the clutch pedal(RPMs at 5500) to shift to second I heard the usual sound of the RPMs drop but this time accompanied by a "clunk, clunk clunk,"(all in the usual amount of time it usually takes for the RPMs to drop) I could feel it through the clutch pedal as well. It will also do it a little when shifting from 2nd to 3rd....

The new clutch has 90 miles on it.... Ive been trying to break it in easy but this morning I couldn't help but drive fast to make it on time...

Any Ideas???
Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Did the mechanic look at the actual shape of the transmission pieces (synchros, etc.) when he pulled it?

Shifting at 5500 rpm with 90 miles on a clutch really isn't a good idea, and probably didn't get you to work any faster.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:35 PM

I had a very similar problem with a diferent car i once had and it turned out to be a bad release/throwout bearing. Hope this gives some help..best of luck
Old 12-03-2006, 12:55 PM

Yeah ham I know what you mean about 90 miles... It isn't broken in yet and I haven't driven this way but this one morning. After that first shift when I heard that sound I went back to 3-4000 shifting...

And yes the mechanic said he didn't see anything else wrong when he was in there...

What are the consequences of not breaking in a clutch? Even though I am breaking this one in a few hundred miles before I get on it...
Old 12-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned

ummm.. i got some potentially not so good news for you.. sounds like the clutch isnt seating well, or its out of alignment.. the clunking sound may be the clutch hitting the flywheel or pressure plate even when clutch is pushed in. or it could be a bolt that wasnt tightended properly on the pressure plate, resulting in mis alignment.

first of all, really dumb idea shifting aggressively to make up for all of about 30seconds to 1 minute in time to get to your precious meeting. there are break in periods for a reason. you shoulda left two minutes earlier.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 PM

Well if its mechanics fault then he Is paying for it, the new clutch AND labor are under warranty so he'll have to fix it.... I just needed to know what it was so that I can tell him about it.... so you think its mis-aligned probably? and yeah I know DUMB idea but.... thats not really my big problem right now its the clunking noise...

So why does it only do it when Im at high RPM and not low? I don't notice it a low RPM shift. Im actually GLAD I shifted at high RPM because I wouldn't have noticed this problem before the labor warranty went out...so there's a plus fing02.gif but yeah still dumb lol

Oh and is it gonna hurt it to drive the Tib for another week like this? Ive got work/class scheduled ALL week so I dunno when I can take it in....
Old 12-03-2006, 03:39 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had one loud cluck happen to my tib once when i shifted agressively 1st>2nd. Nothing happened. I chalked it up to it hadn't seated right or something.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 PM

Oops, forgot about this thread....

Good news, not a problem with Tranny internals....

I took it by the shop where I had the clutch installed and they drove it, noticed the same thing I did, and put it on the lift... They said they didnt see anything wrong on the outside and just pointed out a place where the exhaust was touching...

Well whilst I was under there I noticed something strange, but couldn't figure out what it was. I finally saw it, those dumb-asses had installed the Tranny support on backwards...

This explains my problem, every time I would drive into say 3-4000RPMS and just let off the accelerator I also heard the same noise I heard when shifting.... Turns out it was my tranny knocking when it shook or dropped down (ex. shifts and decelerating)

So they fixed it for free and now its driving like it should. cool.gif But Im also mad at them for being complete idiots mad.gif
Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

dude, that shop sounds like they always be doing wrong with u and ur car. Not too sure if u should go there much. dont sound too great of a shop.

I hope things turn for u, seem like u had some chain of bad luck.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:42 PM

^^^Oh damn straight, lol. The only reason I went back is because they did the work and the parts/labor were still under warranty so they'd do it for free....

But yea never again going back to Oliver Bros. Transmissions here in Bryan, TX. Pass it on... THEY SUCK lol