Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clunking...?

Old 05-01-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A few weeks back I took my car on a 200 mile trip to visit a friend of mine, and got there without a single problem. Stayed the night and the next morning when I started the car there was this semi-loud, well.... clunking noise... coming from the engine bay. It went at a nice steady pace, no where close to as fast as HLAs for example, and a much deeper noise. I just about crapped myself cuz I thought Id be stuck there. Sticking my head in the engine bay to try to figure it out, I really couldnt put my finger on the source, although it didnt seem to be coming from the engine itself... more off to the drivers side, possibly the tranny or something.

I revved it up a tiny bit and the clunking did not increase with the rpms at all, nor did it increase in volume or even change at all. Just when I wanted to scream, it stopped. It had maybe been 1-2 minutes in all. I decided to let the car run for awhile to see if anything out of the ordinary was happening but everything was fine. Drove it back home the 200 miles later that night again with no problems at all.

It didnt do it again until a few days later and literally only made the noise maybe 4 times, didnt last anywhere close to as long as the first time. Both times were on a cold start up so I thought that might have something to do with it... but no

I was out driving tonight and again, like most of the time, it started with no problems and ran fine. 10 minutes later it started while i was driving. It seemed to make the car hesitate or something with each noise, but i obviously didnt want to beat on it so i was decelerating if anything. A minute later it was gone again and the car drove fine. I have NO CLUE wtf is going on!!! please, if you have any ideas at all, let me know!

I get my ecu from airborne in a couple days, and I gotta find out if my car is ok before I go boosting much! lol. For all i know tho, it could be ecu related (kinda doubt it) and the new one might fix it. i dunno... PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

Flywheel? I've heard of this on older RWD cars but I'm sure this can happen on an FWD application.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:25 AM

Had a similiar noise on my tib for quite a while. Does it get worse in the rain, or even in damp weather? If so it could be a motor mount or roll stopper. With mine i would touch the gas it would clunk, touch the brake it would clunk. it drove me nuts for months. Spent a lot of money before i figured it out. Thats just my experence , might not be yours. just tryin t give you some ideas.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

thanks for the input guys, ill definately look into both things. I think if it was the flywheel the noise would increase with rpms, dont you? I dunno, still a possibility.

guido- would yours make the noise repetitively or was it just a clunk here and there? cuz mine will do it intermitantly for like a minute
Old 05-02-2006, 01:59 PM

when it first started it was every now and then. but as it got worse it just made noise all the time. Have someone check it out to see if your bushing are worn out on the mounts before buying anything. I don't want to waste your money