Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers

Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers

Has anyone used one of these mufflers, and if so, were you happy with the sound?

http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/Ca...es/vortex.aspx
Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Just use the cherry bomb! I am running a straight 36" Glass Pack with no muffler and it sounds fantastic! 3" exhaust cause I'm boosted.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The oval models you're looking at are less a "strait through" design and more of a shallow S-bend. It's slightly more lossy than a typical "strait through" and if I recall in flow tests it was on the level of a stock muffler just a little louder. My friend had one on his Cavalier in HS and it sounded like a bee trapped in a tin can making love to Jeff Goldblum.

Its a lot more expensive but I used a Maganaflow on the 944 because it tested just slightly more restrictive than strait pipe but gave a nice throaty growl when I gunned the gas but was relatively tame at idle.

If all you want is sound, it'll be loud and ricey unless your turboed. But for a little more there are a lot of better flowing, better sounding units around.

Also, this is a brand name you'll pay a premium for, there are a ton of other glasspacks on the market that will sound the same and perform just as shittly, but wont hit the wallet as hard. I'd talk to an exhaust shop that specializes in aftermarket support for a good price on a full cat-back that will satiate your aesthetic. There is a lot more to exhaust acoustics than the tip.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I suppose I should have given more information about my current setup. Currently, I have OBX headers, a Magnaflow high flow cat, a magnaflow 30" glasspack, and 2.25" pipes. The reason I don't have a nice muffler on is my own fault admittedly (bought offset-offset because I wasnt paying attention. So the guy that welded it all up for me, without asking me first, tacked on the stock muffler at the end of the new pipes. It sounds horrendous to say the least.

The original muffler that I wanted to put on is the DynoMax Super Turbo, which came recommended by a few of the older members on here. The offset-center design they have just looks really restrictive to me so I was looking at alternatives. This Cherry Bomb Vortex and the DynoMax VT caught my eye since they have a more free-flowing design. All I want out of my exhaust is not to sound like I'm driving a 120 HP lawnmower so should I stick with the slightly less flowing mufflers?

Thanks!