Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Changing Your Own Clutch

Old 02-24-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO during this last summer i upgraded my clutch because 1. it was going out, 2. i made more hp than stock and wanted something that could handle it better.

anyways, while doin the swap we had to pull the motor and trans out of the car becuase we couldnt separate the two inside the motorcomartment. all the bolts were out, couldnt get it at an angle...so we had to pull em. even when they were out it took two of us to yank them apart. i have never had to struggle so hard to do this on any car, other than my 01 tib.

did anyone else experience this problem, or are there any tricks i should know about? the reason i ask is because i am putting internal engine parts in soon and will again be upgrading my clutch.
-Adam
Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 PM

You have to unbolt and remove the arm that goes to the fork for the throwout bearing, this will allow the fork to move enough so the throwout bearing slides off of it, I can't see how you got it apart without pulling that arm off unless you pulled hard enough to seperate the throwout bearing from the pressure plate, well anyway just remove the arm and the tranny will slide right off with ease. The arm is the part that the slave cylinder attaches to, there is a nut right on top of it.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^that's what i hear. check out the Auto-Manual swap DIY. it's got pictures!

you definitely don't have to pull the engine out. althogh i know one member who was pulling his old clutch out and literally had to crack it in half to get it out hahaha... poor guy. he'll probably be on this thread soon you'll know. tongue.gif
Old 02-24-2007, 10:26 PM

Yea we eventually go it, but we werent aware of it until it was taken off. but it was gay. u think if i do that before pulling the motor and everything else id b able to serparate the two all in the motor compartment?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:28 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

check the DIY.

supported the tranny good with a floor jack, then I let off some on the engine hoist, then I went back to the floor jack and lowered it SLOWLY, and the entire engine will slant giving you enough clearance to pull it loose of the torque converter, it was a pain in the ass, because the tranny kept hitting the lower anti roll bar, but eventually after a little pushing, and shoving, it cleared just enough to lower completly
Old 02-24-2007, 10:31 PM

i have a 5 speed in my car..."changing my clutch"

torque converter?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

it mentions a torque converter because the thread was also a referrance to a automatic transaxle to a manual transaxle.

but yes, you can separate and remove the tranny without removing the engine, most people dont pull the engine to change the clutch/remove the tranny, i didnt have any problem.

But if you think about it the auto is bigger so since he managed to remove the ATX it surely can be done with the MTX.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

manual transmission can easily be removed without pulling the motor/trans. i have done it twice.. no problems..

its all about pulling up the fork to snap out the TOB. i forgot to do this last time, and i had the same problem you had, but then a light bulb went on inside my brain, and the trans basically fell off.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yah ive done mine like 10x, each time the trans pretty much fell off, except the first time where i had to use a bit of prying.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: Elantra XD GT

i have done it more than a couple of times on these beta's,

just drop the subframe and all is good (at least on the XD, dont know about the tib)