Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cel Strobe Light

Old 04-27-2005, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Well, after spending about 8 months trying to tamper with the relocation of the evaporation cannister in my Rev A Tib, I ran out of options. The cannister was in the way of the Cold Air Intake filter. When relocating, instead of rewiring the valve on it, I just bought some tubes and extended them to the engine bay and left the valve in place on the fenderwall. So now the tubes are all setup the same but just extended. Everything is pressurized, I checked everything, no leaks.

A miniscule problem eh? More like a clubbers party in the dash. The CEL comes on every other hundred miles. And everytime it does, it makes my Automatic gear timing malfunction and engine studder. It's probably because the fuel tank is not pressurized right. I've reset my ECU numerous times.

I went to the Hyundai dealership and p*ssed some technician off. I mean really, they really are sellouts. They don't help you at all unless it's a service, semi-warranty, or you bought the car from them. The dumb f***er said they don't do customization and they don't want to deal with it. I told them it wasn't customization because it was supposed to be setup according to RD2 spec where the cannister is located in the rear, so all they had to do was order the parts necessary from a 2001 model. I told them I was tired and I could pay anything for them to make it 2001 Spec. The result was I walked out of there in shame...

Does anybody have any advice for me?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

ya know you talked with me about this before.

I have EVAP problems but not because of relocation.

I am the biggest procrastanator and STILL haven't found/looked for the EVAP canister. Maybe if I go under the hood and take a look I can help you out.

(I have the CEL too, but mine is on all the time..no party stobe lights like you.)

Maybe,
Try another dealer and just order the parts for an RD2 and do it yourself. You seem to have the knowledge.

Consider re-locating your air filter....no SRI's though! smile.gif

Can you refresh my memory with the EVAP info. Describe where cannister is and where lines run? Is the cannister located exactly where the air filter (AEM) is? Or is that the vacuum lines?

Hopefully we can help eachother out. I lost your previous pm's.... rolleyes.gif
Old 04-27-2005, 01:12 PM

http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=25610

don't worry, its ok. I did it abotu 3 months ago, after I got my AEM intake. Plenty of other people have got it. I sorta had the problem u did with the CEL. mine went on around occtober and stayed on until may EVERY YEAR. Now since I bypassed it and reset the ECU, its been fine.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:48 PM

thanks for bringin' that topic on hp back up. they connected all of the wires together which is pretty funny. i should just do that too and get rid of the cannister completely. i have some barbs and i could connect them to a bypass barb which would just connect them altogether.

the problem is that there are two smaller tubes from beside the battery and i think they come from the fuel tank. i wouldn't know what to do with them either.

everytime this CEL comes on, my gears are mistimed for reasons i do not know. it's really bugging me! why would the gears mistime? when i press the gas, the gears do not shift down and they studder. There is a DEFINITE power loss when this cannister is not connected!

I think I know what the problem is now. The skimpy tubes I used are folding in half preventing anything from giung up. Does anybody know where I can get some hard tubes that will not bend?

*EDIT*

Fitment and everything worked out great. It's very easy if you're up for it.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:15 PM

*BUMP*

I need your help. If anybody could post a picture of the evaporation cannister and the hoses setup, maybe I can get this to work and do a DIY.

If anybody could help me out and tell me which hoses are connected where, that would be just as helpful.

I'm lost. I can't figure out which hoses connect to the proper ones. I'm working on the car now.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Look at the damned link for HP< it's got all the pictures and it also says how to NOT get a CEL from doing it.

If you are having GEARING problems now, it's NOT from the Cannister man, you have something else wrong. Go get your codes read.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:31 PM

sorry bro but the link does not shoe which wires are which. i got it relocated and wired, but i need to figure out which hoses go where and how many there are. i have 5 of them but i hear there should only be four. Also my transmission is Automatic. And the computer times the gears according to the pressure you're giving the gas pedal.

and i got the codes read 5 different times in one gas station, 1 time in my repair shop, 1 time at the dealership. all codes show Evap cannister.

also, every single time i've reset my ECU, everything goes back to normal. The gears were timed right. And the intake really kicked in. Then after 200 miles the CEL goes on and the gears misfunction again. It's the cannister alright. The ECU connects to the valve which pressurizes the fuel tank.

Also I've relocated it to the engine bay. I did not remove it because if I remove it my gears will not time right again.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:38 PM

The thing is, you don't relocate it. REMOVE it and just get all the hoses going together. If you cut the wiring for that solenoid, that's probably the issue. That's the ONLY thing that can give you a CEL from that.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:48 PM

the solenoid is plugged into a wire underneatht he headlight right? it controls the pressure? if i unplug it that's an automatic CEL.

So if i keep it in place, run all three hoses together, what about the other two hoses beside the battery tray? there is two smaller ones that are next to the battery tray. one of which i have seen fuel substances coming through.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:54 PM

Track the hoses down and see where they go. According to the HP page, you just put all 3 hoses together with a t adapter.