Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cel 0121, 1127 Leads To 0102/3

Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here is the situation.

First I am completely stock on my 99 tiburon.

Bought my car with 69,000 on it. changed the oil and plugs at the first following oil change
noticed after driving for an hour on the highway when I get into town the gas would be pressed but it would act like it wasn't getting gas kind of like there was no pressure in the system and wanted to die unless I kept the gas down. First reaction was fuel filter

so the next oil change I have the filter changed too. day after I get CEL 0121, 1127. TPS doesn't match MAF output and running rich basically. I followed the troubleshooting and checked the harness as per www.hmaservice.com and ended up replacing my TPS. cleared the codes. Original TPS was DaeSung now replaced with Keifco. couple hours later driving around town same codes. Pull up the troubleshooting again along with borrowing a ODBII reader and compare MAF to TPS as per the trouble shooting. In the chart it says go to CEL 0102/3 (2 readings are low 3 if readings are high) if the MAF doesn't match normal parameters.

Im able to check the harness up to the point where it says to disconnect the ECM. I can see it up under the dash by the drivers left foot however how do I disconnect it as it says to check the ground of the harness on the MAF with the ECM disconnected. Id rather not pay the 200 and some for a new MAF but at the same time if its electrical it might be cheaper to do that.

NOTE: To my knowledge when they were getting the fuel filter replaced (which happens to be on the left firewall just underneath the MAF) they didn't take it apart so it is still in its original position as I have read over and over that if its installed wrong your f'ed basically. Mine has two arrows one on the harness pointing one direction and one on the tube that the sensor is in point in the exact opposite direction.

SO:
What should I check or replace next?
How do I disconnect the ECM?
If I pull the Neg cable is it the same as unplugging the ECM?
If so will the readings be the same as it would if I unplugged the ECM.

Please advise

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:03 PM

I'm pretty sure both arrows should be pointing in the same direction, towards the intake manifold. I just checked mine and that's how its set up.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

As RedZman has drilled into my head, check the direction on the MAF. The arrow on the MAF should point towards the IM.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 PM

ill double check it
its possible when i was looking at it i might have flipped it instead of turned it over or something but that wouldnt cause the values to read extremely high would they?

example

IDLE 2000 3000 4000
TPS% 8.6 11.3 13.7 16
MAF g/s 2.8 (6) 6.3(12) 9.5(20) 13.6 (30)

In the paranthesis is what the actual readings are coming out on when i plug a reader and watch it on datastream.

which in turn leads to code 0103 since values are higher at given rpm for the MAF.

MAF is installed correctly just got done testing electrical there is a short in the wires getting it fixed in the morning.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

First of all, good job on replacing the TPS, I can see you've done a little research at least.

With the MAF upside down (or backwards, as you guys say cool.gif), the car barely idles, smokes, and runs reallllllllly rich. However, DEFINITELY check it anyway, takes 15 seconds and will save lots of hassle. BTW, the MAF cannot be backwards, because then the sensor wiring isn't long enough to reach around. The MAF CAN however be upside down, which will cause lots of issues.

The ECU is underneath your dash, above the clutch pedal, you'll have to lie down in order to get to it, but that is not how you reset your ECU. Use the search function on this site, there is a DIY somewhere on how to reset your ECU. I think all you do is disconnect the negative battery terminal, and then hold the brake pedal for 30 seconds, then reconnect the battery. Check the DIY though, I could be wrong.

Tell us more about your fuel filter situation? I don't completely understand...and YES, the fuel filter is a PITA to change on our cars, so a lazy mechanic may have f*ed it up.

MAFs go bad. If all else fails, try to replace it. You can get them for fairly cheap, maybe $40? Also, do you have an oiled cone filter on your car? Where is your IAT sensor? Sometimes oil can build up in the MAF and cause it to malfunction.

Let us know how it turns out
Old 07-01-2006, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hey man, good looking out for your car. I'm glad you've searched a bit.

TPS was my first concern, and you replaced that, so good.

Next, you need to check that MAF, a dozen times check it.

Report back after that.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Turned out to be some bad wiring like zoned said a lazy mechanic when going for the fuel filter might have pulled it. repaired the wire and its fine. As far as the ECU yeah just disconnect the negative and pump the brakes. The troubleshooting charts from HMAService.com said to disconnect the ecu to troubleshoot wiring that was what i was trying to get to originally. To get a MAF here it costs like 200 from advancedauto i can get it for cost from the guy i bought the car from because he gets it from a hyundai delear.

However this morning on the way to work the cel came on again. gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr its frustrating dont you think. i will stop at home and get the code pulled and go to the website again and stuff. There is no noticable driving problems so its probably the damn purge valve again ha ha ha. If tahts the case then ill jsut keep resetting the ecu and checking the code to make sure others dont pop up.

not sure what you mean by an oiled cone filter.

The IAT is located on the bottom portion of the air filter housing. the hose coming out of the top part goes to the Throttle body in the middle there is a round section of tubing with the MAF installed in it so thats probably why its so expensive.