Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Catch Can

Old 01-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found a pic of mine.. its a VERY simple, yet effective design.. it for an air compressor. its designed to keep the water out of the air line.. costs about 5$ with the necessary fittings to mount it inline with your existing hose. takes about 2 minutes to install.

to empty it, you just unscrew the bottom portion, pour it out, rinse it, screw it back on. also, with the can being clear, it just takes a quick glance to see how much oil you have in the can.. if there is an unusually high amount of oil, you probably have issues with seals, rings, etc.

in the pic its the little thing with the blue top to the right of my spark plug wires.. you can find this EXACT same thing at any home depot, lowes, fluid fittings store, hardware store, etc.

its more than effective enough for anyones needs and you can't find an oil catch can for 5$ anywhere else. another nice thing about this is you can easily hide it or have it blend in and theres absolutely no need to mount it or anything.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:27 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Jeremy, does it always fill up like that gooey mess I saw in the picture you have? How often do you have to dump it? Will the turkey baster option work?

Overall, i think this is the best looking catch tank I've seen.
http://www.perrinperformance.com/shared/im...6/408_large.jpg

Top mounted nipples = gravity helps out more then side mounted nipples. It's made of silicone so that increases durability. It's easily taken apart with pipe clamps. Lots of extra hose and an extra bracket? do you still have the extra bracket? I'd like to mount it in the airbox location.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

if you wanna spend over 5$ on a catch can for looks, go for it.. i was just giving you the sensible, cheap, effective option.. figured there would be wiser things to spend 80-130$ on than a pretty catch can..

top mounted nipples.... gravity helps it more??? you mean gravity is not effective with a side mounted nipple.. does it trick the oil into getting sucked back up into the other side cuz the nipples are on the side... come on man..

durability on an oil catch can... whats gonna happen.. the extreme oil pressure is going to break the plastic? or the extreme heat of the oil coming out of your valve cover?? AND IF the plastic ever cracked or anything, which theres pretty much no chance of it happening, you could go buy another for 5$ and still have saved yourself 75$ and not have some big ass catch can in your engine bay for no reason.

easily taken apart with clamps??? cant get much easier than unscrewing a couple threads and dumping it out.. no need for a turkey baster or a siphon.. lol lmao.gif
Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

ok im j/w whats the big deal about oil in your IM doesnt it just go through and become part of you air/fuel mixture, possible causing an unnoticable smoke? and also is your pcv valve supossed to make a extra loud ticking sound? almost thought was cominng from engine was so loud.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:01 PM
DTN

^^ have you ever removed your upper intake and looked through your TB into your intake manifold? It is usually black in most Tiburons. This prevents that, as well as oil dripping down your intake and possibly dirtying your MAF sensor. I had that happen a few times when I had a sag in my breather line or a clogged PCV.

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Jan 12 2008, 04:19 PM)
if you wanna spend over 5$ on a catch can for looks, go for it.. i was just giving you the sensible, cheap, effective option.. figured there would be wiser things to spend 80-130$ on than a pretty catch can..

top mounted nipples.... gravity helps it more??? you mean gravity is not effective with a side mounted nipple.. does it trick the oil into getting sucked back up into the other side cuz the nipples are on the side... come on man..

durability on an oil catch can... whats gonna happen.. the extreme oil pressure is going to break the plastic? or the extreme heat of the oil coming out of your valve cover?? AND IF the plastic ever cracked or anything, which theres pretty much no chance of it happening, you could go buy another for 5$ and still have saved yourself 75$ and not have some big ass catch can in your engine bay for no reason.

easily taken apart with clamps??? cant get much easier than unscrewing a couple threads and dumping it out.. no need for a turkey baster or a siphon.. lol lmao.gif

You might be right on the price thing, but I do car shows. I need my engine bay to look clean. I can't see your HD kit anywhere in that engine bay. Can you circle it or give me an idea of where it is?

The idea behind a catch can is to separate air/oil. The best place to do that is at the very top of the can. It's not as efficient if you place the input/output on the side

As for durability, the Perin is made of silicone. It can take a beating with a wrench and still maintain shape without scratching, denting or abrasion. Any hard plastic or metal can will not react the same way.

It can also be drained from the bottom of the can. I like the idea of not having to disconnect anything, just undo a hose clamp, remove the liquid and reconnect the hose clamp. It seems like alot less of a chore.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Banned

look RIGHT to the right of where my spark plugs connect to the coils.. you can see the blue thing with the brass fittings.. thats my old location for the catch can.. as far as the location being clean.. if it was in the stock location, you could extend the hose, attach to firewall, IM, below the IM, etc.

thats the thing, with this can, you can hide it so you have no big useless can taking up space.. you can unscrew it, OR empty it from the bottom. theres a little pin on the bottom that you push. it opens a valve and the fluid will drain.

this seperates the oil/air JUST as good as that one.. there is a little tab between the two sides so the oil can't got RIGHT thru to the other side..

if you ever could mess up this can with a wrench i would be very surprised.. if you hit it, it would just move.. with the location of the can, the chances of it getting hit by a hammer/wrench are so slim its irrelevant. and if, by some SLIM chance you scratched it, it would cost you 5$ to get a new one, and again, you would still have saved at least 70$ and space in your bay.

removing this can, can be done by hand, removing a hose clamp can't..

if you want to get the 80$ can, be my guest, but don't try and justify that it is better than anything but looks, cuz its not.. and personally, i would rather not have a big ugly can in my bay with a hose on the side to see how full it was.. depending on how thick/whats in oil those sight tubes would get nasty and clogged, and couldn't easily be rinsed.

to rinse this can, you just unscrew, rinse, attach.. simple as simple can be..
Old 01-12-2008, 04:37 PM
DTN

Oh, no. I'd HAVE to have it mounted somehow. That's something that judges look for at car shows. I saw a guy with about $20,000 invested well into his car loose to my car because he didn't have his amplifier bolted down, it was held in place by it's wires. Technically it's a sloppy modification however good it looks.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

LARRS has the same catch can setup as SOCKS does DTN. If I remember right he has his mounted around the the strut somehow. go look for it and he gave a entire list of what he used.

if he didnt give a list, do a search on google and it will come up with a diy on the one we are talking about in a S2000 forum and he gave all the parts needed in the list.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Jan 12 2008, 08:27 AM)
Jeremy, does it always fill up like that gooey mess I saw in the picture you have? How often do you have to dump it? Will the turkey baster option work?

Overall, i think this is the best looking catch tank I've seen.
http://www.perrinperformance.com/shared/im...6/408_large.jpg

Top mounted nipples = gravity helps out more then side mounted nipples. It's made of silicone so that increases durability. It's easily taken apart with pipe clamps. Lots of extra hose and an extra bracket? do you still have the extra bracket? I'd like to mount it in the airbox location.

No, it filled up like that for one reason. LOL Seafoam spray. I used some, and the catch can came with a foam filter to go inside of it, the seafom melted the filter. LOL I posted about it some time ago.

It's a good sized catch can, and weighs right around 1 pound. The BIG metal ones, weigh a bunch more, I had one and got rid of it for this. You could use a turkey baster, but honestly, I've never had to empty it yet. When I do, I'd just open the drain on the bottom, and whammo, done.

I've got the L shaped bracket, but the second one should be here somewhere. I even have the decals I got with it.

How some folks here will pay $800 for an intake manifold, but only $5 for a catch can, is beyond me. These are the same folks that use $20 fans for their radiators off of ebay and wonder why they stop working in a year.

You go to Car shows, BIG ones DTN, it's your decision. I got this one specifically because...

1. It's light.
2. It's identical in color to the samco sport hoses in my engine bay.
3. Easy maintenance/brackets/drain.

I didn't even know it came with the spare hose until I got it.

Considering most of the folks that buy the PERRIN and other similar catch cans drive Evos, 350 Z's, and the like, it's no wonder I've never seen a Hyundai with one. I have seen a few dozen with the $5 catch cans though.

Never at a car show.

LOL
Old 01-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

again, its obvious what catch can you want if you wanna win car shows and have something look pretty.. perrin or similar..

if you want something thats cheap and just as effective, go with the 5$ one