Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Catalytic Converter -- Inquring minds want to know

Old 02-27-2003, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter -- Inquring minds want to know

Okay, for those who don't know, I'm in San Diego, CA. Great for weather, lousy for car modifications. Anyways, I've been discussing tuning issues with several people on the board here, and one thing I'm not clear on I hope to clear up for myself and others.

I thought it was illegal to remove the cat from your car. How can they sell highflow cats? Also, I know if there was a way to "relocate" or cats in the Tiburon to further back, it would allow us to see some 'real gains' out of our 2.0L. So what happens if you do move it lower down? Do you incure the wraith of the CARB nazis? Red? Random? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 02-27-2003, 02:48 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

But my cat is damaged
Old 02-27-2003, 07:03 AM

I believe if your under smog restrictions then you can't modify the cat anyway, so it is still illegal to have a high flow cat in a smog restricted state or area. Its basically there for people who live in a state like me, where there are no restrictions and you want to have peace of mind on polluting the environment rolleyes.gif
Old 02-27-2003, 07:35 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Kidd Supreme:
I thought it was illegal to remove the cat from your car. How can they sell highflow cats? Also, I know if there was a way to "relocate" or cats in the Tiburon to further back, it would allow us to see some 'real gains' out of our 2.0L. So what happens if you do move it lower down? Do you incure the wraith of the CARB nazis? Red? Random? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Its illegal to remove a working cat from a car. I believe the cutoff is 80,000 miles on the cat... As for relocation, the cats cant be moved more the 6" from their original location and/or the parts used in the relocation (header and cat-back or the turbo plumbing) needs to be CARB certified. Thats one of the reasons why supercharger kits and engine swaps are so popular. They dont require butchering the stock emissions equiptment the way a high powered n/a setup or most turbo setups do.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:59 AM

So basically, you're saying "If you live in California, you're screwed, right?"
Old 02-27-2003, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Unless you can convince the carb nazi's your cat no longer worked, you put the cat on the downpipe as it leaves the turbo on a CARB legal kit, or just get a cat-back and intake and run SCCA Solo2 in the STS class. tongue.gif

But then again, i dont live in Cali (thank God) so you might want to check with the local DMV.

[ February 28, 2003, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: skierd ]
Old 02-28-2003, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

In cali, you are just plain screwed.

To see any benefit in cat relocation you would need headers. Since none of the beta engine headers are carb legal...it's a moot point.

Headers CAN be made to be carb legal with a cat relocation, but someone has to pay the $5000-$9000 for emissions testing to prove that the new exhaust setup is just as clean as the stock setup. Until that happens, cali folks are screwed.