Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Catalytic Converter

Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does annyone have a pic of a oem Catalytic converter ? Or does annyone have the measurements ?
Does it have 2 flanges with 2 bolts each on each flange. Or 2 flanges one with 2 bolts and one with 3 bolts ?
my original exhausth has got the converter just behind the exhausth manifold in the front of the engine. But my new exhausth has not got room at the front of the engine only underneath the car. Maybe the oem cat in america looks like my hollow tube that is located on the spot where your cat is.

I hope that someone understands what i am saying lmao.gif
Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2006, 12:10 PM

that hallow tube is your new catalytic converter... it's a "straight thru cat" basically just to look like you still have one
Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

i "kinda" understand what your saying... but i can't get over the word "Kathalyc"

now, for my car oem-wise, it came with two Catalyctic Converters; one just after/right below the exhaust manifold and one along the bottom with the flex pipe.

what are you trying to do anyways? installing headers and a new exhaust system, please explain

essentially, you only need one good working cat to pass emission testings and it can be anywhere along your exhaust system as long as it is still close to the engine (needs to be heated quickly to function efficiently) and there is an o2 sensor before and after it.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:49 PM

In holland the emisson testings are lighter then your's. We only got 1 o2 sensor and its located before the cat.

On the pic below is my exhausth displayed. On that picture on the botom right there is the flex pipe and left from it is my hollow tube. I want to replace that for a Catalyctic Converter. Now i know that you have one underneath the car but i dont know the dimensions of it. I must need to know if it fits before i buy it.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

look on ebay for the right dimension cat to fit. i doubt youll find one that changes flanges like that but you can have a shop reweld a different flange on there for you for cheap. which exhaust is that anyway and what headers?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned

ahh the obx exhaust.. gonna sound pretty shitty if you dont put a real catalytic convertor in its place. i would actually buy a catco catalytic convertor though.

the test pipe 'race cat' they provide you with is the same dimensions of the stock catalytic convertor, cuz i had that thing on for like a day, and i was like holy weedwacker on speed batman, and took it off.

catco cat
about 1/5 way down that page you will see the replacement cat that you need. it doesnt give the dimensions but its a direct replacement cat.

hope that helps. or just use your stock cat.

see that thing with the two mounts coming off of it, thats the stock cat that you need to replace, which is the same size as that test pipe. if you get the cat in the first link i provided you with, that will be what you need.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:29 PM

SKU# 4889 you mean ?

You got 2 cat's on the tib so do you think one will hel me ?

It looks so small... If i go and put my other engine in it i dont think this cat can handle it.

By the way the header is from XS racing along with the flex pipe and test pipe.
The mid pipe and rear end is from AJ-PRO its better quality then obx. It looks like the obx one but its much better quality. Its from korea.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Sorry but I had to put a spell check on this post. lmao.gif
Old 12-21-2006, 02:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

lol good call. melan...that looks like the right one. just check the measurements to the pipe that came with the exhaust
Old 12-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

yes, that cat will work. it might not be the EXACT pic, but they will send the direct replacement for it..

XSpower is obx btw..