Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cat Converter Recommendations?

Old 02-18-2005, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Converter Recommendations?

Wussup fellas,

i'm ordering one of the ssautochrome complete package kits from ebay looks pretty nice. i know a few members here have them, with pretty good results. It's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEBI%3AIT .

Can anyone recommend a cat that i can use to make this street legal? I don't really want to spend too much considering the exhaust was 425 shipped, which is not horribly expensive .... u know what i mean, anyways.... What type of cat lets the highest exhaust flow pass thru it but can still pass inspection? I live in NY, but it's probably a global standard (except cali) right?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:30 AM

You should look on ebay...I just purchased a brand new Carsound cat for $30. I also saw a Random Technologies cat go on there for just over $100 (I didn't buy this one cause it was the wrong diameter)..these two brands are some of the best cats out there
Old 02-18-2005, 06:33 AM

Your looking to pass inspection as far as exaust gas or pollutant's right?
The cat also affect's sound doesnt it?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:37 AM

His car is gonna be louder do to the header and exhaust..either way, for the exhaust system he ordered, he will have to replace the stock cat.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:40 AM

Is there a place to tell you what size cat you need? I've yet to install my A'PExi N1 and I don't have an aftermarket cat for it ;>_>
Do I need a cat when I install it? Or can I install a cat after the initial install of the exaust?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:42 AM

if you got a catback setup you shouldn't have to change the stock cat out unless you want to. am i right?
Old 02-18-2005, 07:24 AM

right.....
Old 02-18-2005, 10:05 PM

QUOTE (bluetibbay)
Is there a place to tell you what size cat you need? I've yet to install my A'PExi N1 and I don't have an aftermarket cat for it ;>_>
Do I need a cat when I install it? Or can I install a cat after the initial install of the exaust?

You'll only have to change out the cat if you replace your exhaust manifold with a header.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai tiburon

Get ready for problems then. I've had my headers and exhaust for 2 or more years now and have had constant problems with cats going bad & O2sensors. I've had the carsound and random technologies ones. They burn out cause the car runs to rich after cutting out the one cat when putting on the header at least in my case. They break up inside and rattle.

Hope it works out for you...i would go with the carsound ones cause their cheaper and i couldn't tell any difference in the two in looks and in performance. My .02 i wouldn't get the headers...just get the catback and save your ears and the cel problems...or go turbo.

JD
Old 02-19-2005, 07:33 AM

QUOTE (JalemX)
if you got a catback setup you shouldn't have to change the stock cat out unless you want to. am i right?

Yes - As answered above me, but remember, ...

Your OEM cat is'nt exactly a "Hi-Flow" cat.

I just ordered Carsound's Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat (Part # 94305)
You can choose what size the In/out diameter will be.
For me I chose 2.250" in/out smile.gif