Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cat-Back Exaust

Old 04-10-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat-Back Exaust

I have a 2002 Daewoo Lanos. I want a Cat-back exaust, I want a good exaust. Can someone please
help me find an exaust that will kick ass? If there is none, is there a way to make one from scratch? Help me out bro. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:41 PM

Hey, The Sharkracing Universal Exhaust is a really good system. The guy that takes care of Hyundai Tuner installed it on his Accent. The system is a bolt on one.

The other thing I can say is to have a Muffler Shop make one for you. Make sure they are able to do a Mandrel Bend, and you will have no problems.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:56 PM

If you do have an exhaust shop put one together for you, beware that 9 out of 10 shops won't have a machine that will mandrel bend pipes. Most are crush bend or push bend machines that make unequal length meanders in the exhaust which hinder performance and is a wast of money. If the shop can order the manderl bends, go for it. They'll measure where they need to make the turns and cut'n weld the mandrels together, much like making custom intercooler piping. Cool stuff!

*Also be carefull in choosing the piping diameter too!*
Bigger isn't always better. Too large a diameter will hurt performance by disrupting proper backpressure, harmonic resonance and vaccum that the exhaust system creates in order to flow properly. Too small well, just imagine yourself constipated. wink If you have a 1.8 - 2.0, 2.25" is usually recommended. A 2.2-2.4 displacement is 2.5". Of course, these are for N/A engines. If you're running a power adder, BIGGER is better. In fact you can't have a large enough exhaust especially runnning a turbo system that i'm told! I got the previous figures from a chart in a recent SCC mag. I don't just pull those #'s from my butt..
Old 04-10-2002, 04:58 PM

I agree with Rich on the size. Accually, there have been people that put a 2 1/4" cat back on an Accent. Then they wonder why there HP droped a couple instead of gaining. I would recomend a 2", this should work well up to 200 n/a.

I know that I had a 2.5" Dual Cat back exhaust on my 93 Dakota 5.2L v8. When I talked to an exhaust tech, he stated "This exhaust should be good to 500hp". eek!

[ April 10, 2002, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Dthomas ]