Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

castrol syntec

Old 08-12-2002, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default castrol syntec

is this a good oil or is there a better synthetic out there or do you have any other oil recommendations
Old 08-13-2002, 12:26 AM

check is page out. I got it from Skierd

http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/
Old 08-13-2002, 09:55 AM

i work at wal-mart and change oil all the time!

SYNTHETIC oil is not worth the money
SYNTHETIC oil does not break down any slower
SYNTHETIC oil has not been proven to make your car running any better than it was before you where using regular oil

just use reg castrol 10-30
Old 08-15-2002, 03:09 AM

Funny, I used to use regular oil switched to syntec and now seem to be getting slightly better gas mileage. (I drive long distances to work)
Old 08-15-2002, 03:30 AM

VERN@:

SYNTHETIC oil has not been proven to make your car running any better than it was before you where using regular oil

You are absolutely wrong! What makes you the expert? Chemical properties are very different from each other. Look at the major tuners and ask them whether they use O'Reilly $0.99 oil! I have been using synthetic for the last three years on my Elantra. It's good stuff.

Yeah, and when you say it has been proven, show us the proof from a reliable source.

[ August 15, 2002, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Diambo ]
Old 08-15-2002, 03:36 AM

You work for Wal-Mart I work for Schucks Auto Supply...Synthetic does have an effect on cars...some parts good some parts bad...Synthetic is much more of a watery compound then Non-synthetic oil. This is good and bad...for low mileage and high mileage vehicles this is bad because they either have not been broken in and need the oil to be a little thicker or their engine is starting to wear and tear and they need the same support. Synthetic in a good way gets down into the areas that regular oil can not, allowing all of the gears to be oiled up, etc. I know there was more. I have it in my little Training book if you want me to look it up. 10-30 is fine, ive seen people go to 5-30. Next step would be choosing a brand, best way to do it is try each out and just see if you feel any difference, this is if youre not much of a MOD man...(which i doubt there are any non-modders in here, but maybe)...because modifications to your engine can increase/decrease your gas mileage as well.

[ August 15, 2002, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: 9o7TiB7o9 ]
Old 08-15-2002, 03:38 AM

VERN@:

walmart sucks man. i know not to EVER take my car to walmart to get an oil change now...
Old 08-15-2002, 04:07 AM

im sure its good in some ways but you cant just switch from refined earth oil (being reg castrol) right to synthetic. The synthetic will break off all the sludge and crap stuck in your engine. Your suppost to switch to some sort of engine oil flusher --> then to syntec.

to me this sounds like a blood clot traveling to someones heart eek!

Motor oil serves many purposes. Its primary function is to lubricate and protect, but it also is designed to keep your engine cool and running clean.

Under ideal driving conditions (consistent speed highway driving), conventional motor oils recommended by the vehicle manufacturer work just fine. But for many people, ideal driving conditions are few and far between. In cases of stop and go traffic, short trips, very cold temperatures, very hot temperatures (caused by weather, traffic jams or turbo engines) or towing and hauling, drivers can benefit from the extra protection of synthetics.

Conventional motor oils are made from crude oil that is drilled from the ground and processed in a refinery. Synthetic motor oils are created from special "synthesized" materials and deliver more performance benefits, such as:

Superior protection from engine wear Lower volatility for decreased oil consumption ("volatility" is the tendency of an oil to break down at extreme temperatures) Better gas mileage Easier start-ups at very cold temperatures (because they flow easier) Greater viscosity (the "thickness" of an oil) at very high temperatures Reduced engine deposits, which are the "by-products" of combustion in the engine

Many people think that synthetic motor oils are designed for extending the time between oil changes. This is not the case. While synthetics offer extra protection for your investment, taking proper care of your car still requires oil changes at intervals recommended by the auto manufacturer. However, if circumstances cause you to extend your drain interval, synthetics give you the peace of mind that you're using a superior level of protection.

WALMART IS PROBABLY CONSISDERED THE NEXT BEST PLACE TO TAKE YOUR CAR TOO, TO GET THE OIL CHANGED...OTHER THAN YOURSELF......

GO TAKE YOUR CAR TO SOME FAST LUBE LIKE JIFFY LUBE

LET THEM REAM YOUR CAR A COUPLE OF TIMES eek!
Old 08-15-2002, 04:12 AM

GO WASTE 4.50 ON A QUART OF OIL I'LL SAVE MY MONEY FOR BETER THINGS
Old 08-15-2002, 04:28 AM

Try Castrol Syntec BLEND. It's only around $2.50 a quart and is a good compromise. It's got both mineral oils AND synthetic.

Vern@, you seem a little confused as to which one you recommend. First you're all for mineral base, then you pretty much yak about everything from this link "http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/engineoil_bible.html", then you say go waste our money?

I hope you don't go turbo 'cause the viscosity will break down too quickly in a mineral base oil and you'll be putting your foot in your mouth when you roll to WAL-MART and pick up 4 quarts of castrol syntec. wink

[ August 15, 2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Koreandude ]