Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Car Won't Start... What Is It?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

Well... the symptoms:
It cranks, cranks like normal except it doesn't start on the 3rd-4th crank like it usually does.

5-6 months ago the car first had this problem. I had driven the car a couple hours, hung out at a friend's place and found that the car wouldn't start when I came back out a bit later. Luckily it was on top of a hill, so we just pushed it down and started it that way. After that the car would start normally. Sometimes it can be a bit stubborn and won't start until 5th-6th crank, but its always done that far as I can remember.

A few weeks ago it did it again, and needed to be pushed started. Again, after that no problems for a while. Now the car is doing the same thing and I think its time to get to the bottom of this... I don't like the idea of driving around on a time bomb.

I'm really not sure what the problem is, due to the inconsistency of it.

The car cranks and once its started its fine... So I don't think its injectors, fuel pump, spark plugs or ignition coil or anything that is used to keep the car running normally. The battery has always been good and there is no dimming in the headlights.

Leads me to believe its something to do with the starter motor but I'm not sure. Would replacing it resolve this issue? So I turn to wiser minds... what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Endless possibilities man.

Does the car start better if you press the throttle before cranking?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

starter goin probably. some can have simple overheating malfunctions even with the exhaust being on the other side of the motor. does the starter work when the car is sitting for a while & the motor is cool? if so i suggest replacing the starter even if it passes on the duratester at autozone. bring it in to autozone for a test. see if it fails on its own. if not. tell them your situation & they will take it as a core & sell u a lifetime warrantied starter smile.gif
Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Does the starter sound the same during non-starting cranks as during starting cranks?

I wouldn't rule out bad fuel or faulty injectors. Both can cause transient faults. Does it ever run kinda poorly for a moment, then pick up again like nothing ever happened? That could easily be fueling, TPS, or some other random barely-failing electrical problem.

It's much easier to diagnose things that will helpfully stay broken wink1.gif
Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

I had nearly the exact same problem on my eclipse a few months ago. Check the solenoid terminal, I've seen more than enough have the terminals rust (including my own) and cause intermittent starts like you're having. It's an easy thing to check. I just replaced mine with a female spade connector and haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

Thanks for the replies guys... to answer your questions:

Does the car start better if you press the throttle before cranking?

When the car doesn't start after 3-4th crank I tend to tap the gas a bit and then it starts on the 5-6th crank. Then again, I've had it start on the 5-6th crank without my tapping on the gas, so it may be independent of that.

Right now, pressing the throttle before or while cranking doesn't, it won't start.

does the starter work when the car is sitting for a while & the motor is cool?

The only time I've had this happen is after the car has had a chance to cool (overnight or a couple hours at least). I've never had refuse to start shortly after being turned off.

Does the starter sound the same during non-starting cranks as during starting cranks?

Far as I can tell the cranks sound exactly the same as when it does start.

Does it ever run kinda poorly for a moment, then pick up again like nothing ever happened?

No, I haven't noticed it choke or anything of the sort during normal operation.

Check the solenoid terminal...

Is there a way to get check this without jacking up the car? I know its under the intake manifold and can't even see the bugger normally. When I get time I'll try taking off the CAI. Currently its resting in a place that it would be a bit difficult to jack up... need to push it to some stable ground. (Though with my back on the fritz, not the best time to do that)

The battery terminals are free and clear of corrosion... Just checked the OBD codes and the only ones present have to do with the 2nd O2 sensor, which I never got working (not for the lack of a Cat, but because of the wires)...

When a starter motor is dying, what are its symptoms? If its blown, does the car still crank but not turn over?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It could, maybe. Intermittent stuff is really a bear to track down. If a starter were not cranking hard enough to start the engine, it would probably sound different (slower). The solenoid wiring is actually a pretty good guess. Have a look at whatever the starter wiring connects to on the other end as well.

Nothing to do with the starter on an RD is easy to get to. Whether it has to be jacked up depends on how uncomfortable you are willing to get trying to reach it from the top, or how skinny you are if you want to try from the bottom.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM

have you tried the fuel filter?