Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Car Troubles Need Help

Old 10-09-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so my car is bairly running......somtimes it will idle and when i give it gas black smoke pours out the exaust and it stalls out......sometimes it wont start at all. about a week ago i sucked up some water and it was running crappy so i brought it to the dealer, it sat for a few days in there lot. when they got a chance to look at it it was running fine....they checked the codes only had a missfire in cyl 1 and they cleared it. they also did a compression test and leak down test everthing was fine. so ive been driving my jeep for a few weeks and i went to start my car today and its all messed up again. I checked all the charge pipes and vacume lines for leaks and nothing was bad......i checked my plugs they where black as hell ( running ritch im guessing) changed those .......i rest my ecm and smt6 and still no luck. I also checked my MAF for corotion because of the water and it looks fine. any sugestions on what would cause my car to bairly Idel and run at all?????????
Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Either your running really rich, which is obvious from the black smoke, or some water is still in the system.

Take off all the piping and make sure there isn't any standing water in them, if water does get in there it tends to puddle.

Also take off the turbo and make sure it didn't get damaged somehow.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Check to see if MAF arrow is pointing in the right direction

Also check the big hose going from the elbow to the idle air controller

Did your CEL come back? Are you still misfiring? Or is it something simple..?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 AM

the maf is pointing the right way.......the dealer took the charge pipes off when they had it and said there was no water and i also checked that yesterday too.......and i do get a cel when i try to rev the engine but its not a blinking one it just comes on and im guessing it comes on because of such a ritch fuel mixture stinks like gas and black smoke only when i rev it......it will also idel for a few min ok and then just dies....and my boost gauge is reading 10 to 15 eraticly on the vacume side but there are no leaks any where.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 AM

Get the code read and post it up
Old 10-10-2006, 09:56 AM

yeah i would like to do that but i would have to get the car towed again and pay the dealer to read the codes for a third time....im going to try and get ahold of my buddy that has a obd 2 reader and see if he will come over and do it for me
Old 10-10-2006, 10:00 AM

What if you bought one, read your code, then returned it? lmao.gif
Old 10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

QUOTE (hamhead @ Oct 10 2006, 11:04 AM)
Either your running really rich, which is obvious from the black smoke, or some water is still in the system.

Take off all the piping and make sure there isn't any standing water in them, if water does get in there it tends to puddle.

Also take off the turbo and make sure it didn't get damaged somehow.

yah i was gonna say the water also. my car would idle but stall under revving.. thought my turbo was seized or something of the sort.. took off the intake.. and about 4 ounces of water poured out of that and the turbo, lol..

do what zoned said, buy reader, then take it back.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:06 PM

yeah i was thinking of buying one and then returning it too........i realy dont think the turbo is messed up it spools fine biulds boost fine and not making any funny noises.

got a code reader and the cel was cyl 1 misfire.........man im stumped....today i cleaned the tps maf and throttle body and also the pcv valve. I have spark and brand new plugs so i cant figure this out today i was reving the engine to keep it running and my whole car was shaking and it was sputtering like crazy with blac smoke again so im obviously running super ritch but cant figure out why
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 PM

This is like the third thread with a cyl 1 misfire in the past month..