Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Car Scared Me Today!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

First of all, let me tell you guys about my car, for those of you that don't know. My car sounds healthy, accelerates healthy, looks healthy, because I take care of it religously; all my fluids, filters, spark plugs and wires are new in the car. My transmission is silky smooth and my wheel bearings are healthy and has never been changed. But today just absolutely scared me.

I was at Autozone picking up some Armor All interior cleaner for my car. I came back and started the car.. the car wouldn't start, I tried a second time with no avail. This time I was nervous. I started it again, but this time I had the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Then it started!! There was no nasty smoke coming out of my tailpipe. I have to go to work in an hour and I"m afraid to start my car again. What could trigger this nonsense? Is my beloved car dying?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

whens the last time you replaced your battery or starter? what was it like when ytou tried starting it? did it try to turn over? did it click?

i had a similar problem when my optima was at like 11.3 volts, it would start like the 3rd time, or not at all.. get your battery checked out.. or give me a call at 586-864-3252, and i can try to help you more over the phone
Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had same problem.

Bad Spark Plug Wires for me... Did you get them from Autozone?

I did too. I got the lifetime warranty ones, dead in 6k miles. lmao.gif
Old 01-10-2007, 04:28 PM

Hi I got the same problem as well and it is intermittent. No sign before it happens. My car have 160k on the clock.

does yours happen regularly or just one off instance?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:35 PM

my car did the same thing.

It was the spark plug wire.

smile.gif
Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Yeah, a good maintenancing might be just the thing the tibby needs. fing02.gif
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Jan 10 2007, 08:45 PM)
whens the last time you replaced your battery or starter? what was it like when ytou tried starting it? did it try to turn over? did it click?

i had a similar problem when my optima was at like 11.3 volts, it would start like the 3rd time, or not at all.. get your battery checked out.. or give me a call at 586-864-3252, and i can try to help you more over the phone

My brother, thanks for your support. It turned over, but didn't start. My battery was replaced on January of 2005. I bought Napa brand; in Consumer reports, it rated top store brand battery. It only happened today. So strange. My car is running fine now. The starter was never replaced, but the starter runs strong. There is one thing, there is crystals coming out of my positive side of the battery. My car still starts strong though. It started when I put the gas all the way to the floor.

QUOTE (hamhead @ Jan 10 2007, 09:22 PM)
I had same problem.

Bad Spark Plug Wires for me... Did you get them from Autozone?

I did too. I got the lifetime warranty ones, dead in 6k miles. lmao.gif

Very funny that you mentioned this because back in 2004, my car did the same thing. It was because of Autozone spark plug wires. I changed to Genuine Hyundai Spark plug wires. I changed my spark plugs and wires 2 months ago.

QUOTE (harveyt @ Jan 10 2007, 11:28 PM)
Hi I got the same problem as well and it is intermittent. No sign before it happens. My car have 160k on the clock.

does yours happen regularly or just one off instance?

It only happened once and that was today. I drove it the rest of the day and it starts fine now.... so wierd. I have 125,000 miles on the clock. I feel I made my car depressed when I was looking at the Honda Fit, to compare with the Hyundai Accent.

QUOTE (SwiftTiburon @ Jan 11 2007, 01:12 AM)
Yeah, a good maintenancing might be just the thing the tibby needs. fing02.gif

Sister, I don't think you read my post hahahha.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Really... I guess we all know that Autzone wires = bad idea then. lmao.gif

If there was buildup, maybe clean up the terminal and such with some sandpaper, hopefully it doesn't occur again.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:13 PM

QUOTE (korean_redneck @ Jan 10 2007, 08:35 PM)
Sister, I don't think you read my post hahahha.

Woops I just got pwned lol just misread the post.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:29 AM

I would check your battery cables, and also clean your grounding cables. I think it might have just been a fluke that it started when flooring the gas pedal. I have the same problem on my Nissan truck, with crystals on the positive side battery cable. It is because the battery positive and negative terminals are made of a lead alloy, the positive cable clamp is made of steal. This becomes a mini "battery" in itself known as disimilar metal corossion.