Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Car Not Running Good

Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok for the past week, my car has been acting up. it seems as though its not getting enough fuel. it has no power, runs rough, back fires, rpms dropping down. sometimes it works somewhat ok, where you can drive it, but not long after, the loss of power and misfiring and it slows to a crawl where it doesnt even move.
now ive tried the following- changed plugs, wires, fuel filter, maf sensor, fuel pump test. now a mechanic says he thinks its the primary o2 sensor. now if thats the problem, would it cause the car to act like that? i dont and he doesnt know what else it could be. any ideas?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Do you have a CEL? The primary O2 is what determines how clean the air and fuel are being burned and adjusts the A/F ratio as needed. If the sensors bad, you should have a CEL.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Update- There was a code for the front o2 sensor ,which was replaced with a new one. But the car has not changed any. New spark plugs were put in yesterday and taken back out after the new o2 sensor was put in. One of the plugs is already black with carbon and there is only 1 code showing now and thats a misfire in cylinder 1.
So far this week its had:injectors cleaned, Plugs taken out, fuel pump test, plug wires. A maf sensor and coil from a junkyard were put in and taken back out after no improvement, and now new front o2 sensor.
The car runs rough, runs like its only on 2 or 3 cyclinders, rmp's dropping and alomst stalling the car.
Does anybody have any idea on what the problem could be?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You could have the spark plug wires tested, but I'd about guarantee it's your TPS.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:28 PM

^^^wouldnt that trigger a code if tps was bad? im going to check tomorrow to see what brand the tps is. And that would create the problems im having? and the misfire code?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Nope, mine and several others I've seen don't give any CEL's.

Yes, it created the following problems on my car when it finally went.

1. Surging.
2. Bucking.
3. Misfiring.
4. Stalling.
5. Lack of power.

No CEL.

Any misfire you get will always give you a CEL, I had cleared my ECU, and knew about the TPS's, so I didn't bother doing anything until I got the TPS replaced under warranty.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 AM

My car had almost the same problem but was not misfiring just loosing power and then it will go good and then just loose power again to the point where it would not even move but the engine would be running.

That was caused by a crack in my manifold...

Maybe also check ur top gasket.....
Old 01-26-2008, 03:14 AM

Check the coil pack, when they start to go bad it will cause misfires and loss of power and the only cel you get is the misfire.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:29 PM

UPDATE- i checked the car today for the tps and its a keifco (spelling?). i was also doing some searching on this site and came up with another thread in this forum under sharkeys sick and that guy was experiencing the same problems im now having and another member named tdonnell said if the tps is bad you can unplug it and run the car and it should run better.
so today i started the car and it stalled a couple times, running real rough, so i decided to unplug the tps and see. believe or not, there was an improvement. wasnt running as rough and wasnt stalling.
it was idling at about 3,000 rpm, which tdonnell said it would do. there was a slight hesitation everytime i hit the gas though, but not nearly as bad as when i had the tps plugged in.
so i ordered a tps from a local parts dealership for $107 + tax and it should be in monday. hopefully thats my problem.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:47 PM

You can get a TPS at autozone for 54 bucks.

The Keifco TPS doesn't go bad as often as the Dae Sung, but it can still go tits up like any part.

Remember to reset your ecu.