Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Car Kept Turning Over But Not Starting

Old 05-22-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys and Gals,
I wanted this to be in the forums because I tried searching for it and had no luck.
I have a 5-sp 2001 Tiburon
I had the problem of my car continuously turning over but not firing up. I thought it was either the Cam angle Sensor or the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Upon checking, I had no fuel pressure and no spark. (I later learned that the CKP - Crankshaft position sensor - tells the ECU to give fuel pressure and spark)

So I went to O'Reilly's auto and asked for the Cam Angle Sensor - it was the wrong part so I returned it, and bought the Crank Position Sensor. (The cam angle sensor they sold me had no little 6" cord on it).

Here's the location of the two sensors:

The Cam Angle Sensor is on the BACK of the engine, on the head, just below the Valve Cover on the Passenger's side.

The Crank Position Sensor is on the FRONT of the engine, on the Driver's side, down on the block, below the coolant temp sensors.

On my 01 Tib, both sensors look identical. They have a 3-prong plug on a ~6inch cord and attach to the engine with one 10-mm bolt. You'll also need a pick or very small screwdriver to detach the little wire clip where the sensor plugs into the wiring harness.

Changing them is easy, but finding them was difficult (for me, anyway), so hopefully this will help the next person that has this problem.

-Steve
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Did you check the fuel pump yet?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

So is this an "I fixed it" thread and you posted just in case someone else that has this problem comes along?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM

yes! it's fixed!! I just wanted others to have access to the information that I had to figure out on my own! smile.gif Sorry for the confusion...

steve
Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Another thing that could cause this is if the ECU fuse is blown. This just happened to me while driving down the highway a few days ago. It really sucks because it's not a standard fuse you can just get at walmart. It's not something you would think to check, at least I didn't anyway. I thought I wasn't getting spark, that's why.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

If we're gonna list reasons this would happen...

In the unlikely chance you do what I did and take out the ecu plug without removing the ecu, and cant get the plug back in all the way. If the plug is only on halfway the car will crank but not start.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Very good man. I just went through the same exact issue, and this thread would have helped me just because of the title alone. Very good post!