Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Can Not Shift Into 1st Gear!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you best bet would be to find a new piece.... as redneck as this sounds I've got a busted transmission from an 03 laying outside my garage waiting to go to the scrap yard. Let me check, I'm 90% that the linkage is the same. if you pay for shipping you can have it. It's only got 50k or so on it.

edit: redz, how many time do I have to tell you to READ THE THREAD!?!?!?!?!?! bahahaha, ok, I really enjoyed that. wink1.gif
Old 02-16-2009, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 1998 hundai tiburon se

No it has no slop..the cables are doing there job cuz it there is a cut out where another pin is and it hits the end of it so it is moving all the way and as far as it can.its the pin that sticks out to push the gear select down into the transmission..that has to push it down befor i can push it foward into 1st..nothing conects to this part,it pushed it up or down..and well over 10 years of putting it in 1st gear it has a flat spot and not round anymore...

redz:they looked ok..i mean form what i could tell..how could i tell..the black rubber is still there and no slop..the cables where replaced like 3 yr ago...the cable is pushing the lever as far a it can go..it cant to any more cuz it has a stoper.like i said if i put a small screw driver under where it was flat,and i whent into the car..it would shift into 1st,but if i took it out,it diden push it down far enough..

supercow..well im going to fatten up the one i have tomorrow.im going to put a weld on the bottme of it to thicken it up to see if that helps..if now ill hit u up..
Old 02-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

pm me if that doesn't go so well! If your a good fabricator you can probably do it.

You could always just duct tape in the screwdriver! haha.gif
Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'm not sure what bushing he replaces supercow. You f***tard. LOL

There's the ones in the engine bay. There's the 4 in the bottom of the shifter base. There's the 2 in the shifter block. There's a bunch of bushings.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 1998 hundai tiburon se

LOL..i replaced the white ones in the shifter block..
supercow ill def pm u if this dont work...

Plus supercow it wouldent take that long to get here,since ur only like 3hr from me....

update: I took the part and had it welded and made it a lil thicker..put it on and it works like befor..WOW it feel like i have an new engine again..whent form taking off in 2nd to now back to 1st..LOL..Just like to say thanks for all of ur inputs..
Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'd replace all of the rubber bushings with either skateboard bearings and the KJB shifter plate bushings, or all with the KJB bushings.

Look them up, it takes all the rubber softness out of the shifter. You'll shit yourself.

And from what I'm looking at in the pictures, if I understand the problem, it would have fixed this too. Rubber bushings here just SUCK.