Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cam Help

Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Hey guys. So when I went to pick up the spare engine/tires for my car, the guy also had 2 cams for me. One extra 1.8 cam hyundai donated to the car (sponsored) and one cam he ordered from Shark Racing he said he couldn't install because it was "too aggressive" and he'd get caught.

The one from hyundai is definitely a 1.8 cam, but the one from shark racing is in a korean hyundai box. I PM'd the stampings to Random and he said he thinks the SR one is the XD/GT cam. I measured the lobes and they are both exactly 0.5" thick and 5" all the way around. The stamping on the "XD" cam is J-2 3D and the only noticeable difference is the little rubber ring by the sprocket (circled in pic) is slightly thicker than the 1.8 cam and there are 2 similar "rings" on the other end whereas the 1.8 has one instead of the two and then an extra one right before the 2nd set of lobes (from the sprocket). Would these have any bearing on performance whatsoever or are they both 1.8 cams, just one from USA and one from Korea since the lobes are the same? Any help is appreciated, thanks! fing02.gif

Old 04-07-2006, 04:19 AM

any chance you could measure the lift? Chances are both cams are made from the same billet, but the XD cam should be more aggressive in how it opens the valve and the duration should be longer
Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Well, I measured how far the tip of the lobe comes up from the shaft and they were both the same (I believe it was 0.5"). They are completely identical in every dimension except for those rubber rings (and the stampings, but I've seen different stampings on 1.8 cams). confused.gif