Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cai Touching Battery: Sparks?

Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 Tiburon and I have the CAI that goes all the way down by the left wheel. Anyways, I jacked it up, took the wheel off to see if the intake was still in good placement and hadn't moved around at all since the last time I cleaned it up. Anyways, as I was moving the filter around just a tad, I noticed sparks which alarmed me. Would this have happened due to me moving the intake causing it to touch the battery cords? Please tell me that's what caused the sparks!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: car

uhh... yea... You might want to adjust your intake over, or move your battery over in the tray, or loosen the battery cable, and adjust it so it isn't close. Mine was close to touching, and I fixed it, but those two touching is a bad thing.

this is a no-no

Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Fix it asap or you will melt shit in your engine bay and have a fire.

I've seen it happen.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:37 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'll agree with redzman. And look at his signature, it's still got him worked up.

The last thing you want to do is mess with your electrical system. If you happen to blow a wire on the tib, you can end up searching and searching for the wire for days and then when you find it, you'll never want to replace it because it goes right through the wiring harness.

I'm just saying, get your electrical problems fixed above all else. Mechanics is usually a matter of tollerence, but electrical will mess you up and you won't even know until it's too late. I'm an electronics tech and I get messed up.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 AM

How should I go about doing that, the CAI is pretty much in the only place it can go. I have the AEM one as well. It seems like the battery I have now (I've had it for 3 years) takes up more space than the one I had before. Should I move the battery cables around, if that's even possible? Do any of you guys have AEM intakes with pictures so I can see how close they are to the battery?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

show us a picture of your engine bay.

your battery terminals shouldn't be touching the intake tubing. Your connectors or wires might, if they are, move the connectors so they're facing a different direction and wrap all exposed wires!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

^^
word.gif
Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

.....................yeah, it would be obvious to wrap all your exposed wires or move the connection as far away from CAI as possible.

thats my old engine bay, lol.. sorry the pics are small but you can see how far away mine is.. i didnt have the cable on then, but when my cable was on it wasnt that close..
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i've had that sh*t happen to me. not fun at ALL. i had a new computer installed because of it. i also had to pay the damn dealer $90 damn dollars for them to not find the problem.

then i'm driving and i see some smoke come out of the engine. wires were burnt. after i had that fixed no problem whatsoever.

man, stalling on an exit ramp to a busy highway with a cement truck behind you, no hazard lights SUCKS!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 PM

You need to get that fixed. I had my starter blow up because of it.