Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

CAI problems in winter?

Old 08-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm going to get an AEM CAI for my tib... but I was curious if winter weather could do any harm. If it were to snow or something, and freeze overnight and cause the air filter to be frozen, wouldn't it prevent air from getting to the engine? Would it be smart to take off the CAI during the winter storm season?

What problems could be caused from my filter being covered in ice and little or no air being able to enter?
Old 08-12-2003, 03:32 PM

Default CAI problems in winter?

well remember cold=faster.... soo i think you might do the math and i never heard of a cai freezing??? i might be wrong but i dont think so. i have a cai and live in pa and i didnt have any problems with it. it sounds more agressive in the cold.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tib

only bad thing that could happen is salt getting into the filter from the roads if it snows alot where you are from but have the splash shield helps out alot
Old 08-12-2003, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, the only way for your shit to freeze and not let air thru is if you got it wet. Even then, I don't think it'd get THAT cold in your engine compartment. Especially in Tennesee.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

well I figured.. yeah duh... if it gets wet then it will freeze... that's why I was thinking if it's 10-20 degrees outside and snowing (HELLO... I GO TO UT KNOXVILLE... WE'RE KINDA IN THE SMOKEY MOUNTAINS HERE... TENDS TO GET COLD) then if ice is covering the filter, and not allowing any air in, would it be a problem? I would locate the filter in the lower scoop... if we have 2" of snow on the ground, I might be pushing it with my bumper :x

alright, here is where it would be located (just on the other side). It would go in the lower scoop... she already did it to the tiburon in the picture, but I can't find that certain pic...

it would be pretty low to the ground, and easily get wet in the snow
Old 08-12-2003, 09:21 PM

dude relax.... heat up your car like you would normaly do and it should be fine.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:43 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tib

or you could put a short ram on during winter and put the CAI on during the summer or when you go race
Old 09-15-2003, 06:44 AM

I know this is an old post.. but I do have to add.

I had my CAI for a year now.. all through that NASTY winter we had, lots of snow, freezing cold windchills, and just plain bitter cold. I never had a single problem with it. My cai is not a home built, but still not an AEM, I got it from a guy who races cars for a living and I had to make a hole where the battery sits to fit the filter down in the fender behind where the fog usually sits.

As I am running Hella FF50s instead of the stock fogs, the openings are compleatly open and you can see the filter if you look past the light.