Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

CAI possible with FOG-Lights?

Old 05-24-2001, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI possible with FOG-Lights?

I currently have a MHP CAI with the
K&N in the fender well. I'm looking to
get a new wireing harness and FOG-lights
for my tibby. Will the reduce the usefullness of the cai? Will i have to put it in the engine compartment?

Any help would be great!
Old 05-24-2001, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Ditto. I have the factory foggies too.

The "side" of that fenderwell compartment is open (about 6"x6"), so plenty of cold air gets in. There is another plastic shield between the fenderwell and the engine bay that keeps the hot air out.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:30 AM

Currently my CAI is dropped right next to my transmission. Would moving over to the little open area make a big difference? <it's all taped also> I saw pic's posted somewhere with the wheel off and also the plastic "shield" in the tire well off...Do you run with that tire well off? Or was that just to show the CAI? Just thoughts...Cuz, i know the tranny get mighty hot..and again, would moving it over a few incheas make a difference? Do we have any under body pic's of a CAI in the tire well?
Old 05-24-2001, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Fast.shark:
Currently my CAI is dropped right next to my transmission. Would moving over to the little open area make a big difference?
YES

I saw pic's posted somewhere with the wheel off and also the plastic "shield" in the tire well off...Do you run with that tire well off? Or was that just to show the CAI?

That was just for the photo, to show you where it routed to. You actually cut just a hole big enough for your intake piping, and route it through the hole. It's easier to cut the hole if you remove the shield, so that is probably the other reason it was off.

Just thoughts...Cuz, i know the tranny get mighty hot..and again, would moving it over a few incheas make a difference? Do we have any under body pic's of a CAI in the tire well?

Moving it makes a HUGE difference. Your engine bay air is generally around 120-150 degrees. At idle, or in stop and go traffic, it can skyrocket to over 200. That is the air you are feeding your engine. yeuck!

Now imagine having nice cool, outside air to suck into your engine. Just like a nice frosty brew vs a warm one. Does it make a difference? YES...YES IT DOES!

I've heard 2 differnt theories. For every 5 Degrees of Temp change, add or remove 1 hp. I have also heard it as for every 10 degrees, add or remove 1 HP...

So if it is 90 degrees outside (hot day), and 200+ in your engine compartment. Thats at least a 100 degree difference...or 10 HP on the above scale. Now I don't honestly think that above scale is 100% correct...but it is just an example...
Old 05-24-2001, 08:57 AM

K. now what should I use to extend my piping? PVC for the 90 degree and a short pvc to go thru the "shield" ? Does it matter how the cone is faced or the distance from the ground in there? If you reply fast enough...trip upto home depot/lowel's if possible.. )
Old 05-24-2001, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Two more notes, while we are on the subject of CAI's.

#1. Use Heat Wrapping. With the First Random Special I created. I would see my intake temps climb to around 20 to 40 Degrees above the outside air tempature due to the metal pipe heating up.

After I heat wrapped the pipe, My intake temps never when over 5 degrees above outside air temp. Even at extended idle/stop and go traffic.

#2. For those that are interested. For some lame azz reason. Hyundai Routed a coolant line to the bottom of the Throttle Body. That means that 180 to 200+ degree water is running through the bottom of your Throttle body, heating it up. Sound like a bad idea? I thought so!

If you remove the TB, you can see the 2 flexible rubber pipes that feed it. Take them both off the TB, remove one from the engine, and connect the to pipes directy to eachother. This keeps the water flowing, and you TB much, much cooler....

[ May 24, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 05-24-2001, 09:11 AM

Please advise Random....
Old 05-24-2001, 09:14 AM

Random, Will removing that coolant line affect my car in the winter. We can go down to -35 celcius (spell check on line 2 please) I would like to be able to remove the xtra heat.
10 degrees = 1 HP is what is said for small block Chevys. I don't know if it applies to anything else.
Sorry about the cross.
sad.gif

[ May 24, 2001: Message edited by: Canadian Prairie Shark ]
Old 05-24-2001, 01:26 PM

Almost done with the fender location for my CAI...I need one more <total of 2> 90 degree 3" pvc ( closed <lowels/home depot> owell....i'll be done 30 minutes after I get home from work..