Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Broke 3rd Gear

Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive broken 3rd gear in my 97 gearbox.

Its almost out of the car, so far I've found a gear tooth stuck to the drain plug.
Got a spare 1.8L gearbox to through in there, but no new release bearing/pressure plate.

Anyone done the fiddle job of installing gearbox WITHOUT a new release bearing and pplate?
I imagine its possible to slide the fork into the bearing already on the pplate, but it looks like a PITA, given that the
release bearing can rotate and not accept the fork.

Since I'm probably pulling this spare gearbox out again in a few weeks, I dont want to waste more $$ on bearings and pplates.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Thats too bad, are you boosted? If so, what kind of HP? I am going to need to worry about shearing gears as well so it would be nice to get an idea of the power levels people are shearing gears at.

I have installed the trans with the TOB still snapped into the PP. You are correct about it looking like a PITA, it is, lol. Only took about three tries with the trans on my chest, lol. Talk about being tired as hell when I finally got it in and the input shaft into the clutch plate so I could slide the trans onto the support pins in the block.

Just make sure the TOB is in a vertical position, and mark the fork spline when the forks are a little less than perpendicular to the TOB (so it doesn't fold the wrong way when it hits the PP). Then have someone hold the fork in that position until you get the input shaft into the clutch disc, then have them turn the fork clockwise so the forks go through the TOB.

Then bolt the trans to the block in a couple of places, hook up the slave cylinder, put the trans in gear, spin the engine by hand at the cam gear or crank pulley, with the clutch pedal up the diff should be spinning when you spin the engine. When you depress the clutch pedal and spin the engine with the trans in gear, the diff should NOT be spinning. Have someone in the car holding the clutch pedal down, someone else turning over the engine, and put your finger into the diff to feel if it is spinning; if it isn't then you've got it!

That is how you can confirm you got it before throwing the axles in and the engine/trans mounts, etc. in.

But you CAN do it. fing02.gif

BTW: if you are replacing a 2L with the 1.8, just an FYI, the gears are noticably shorter. 60 mph in 5th is at 3000 rpm. Don't feel like converting that to km/h for you, too lazy, lol.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Cool, I figured it could be done with a little patience. good tip on checking before axles go in.

I'm running about 200KW at the wheels.
I think it happened on the way back from the coast, I was driving on a short dirt road but with lots
of corrugations in the road and I was in 3rd gear low revs using torque to drive me along.

It could also be a side affect of the number of times Ive removed/installed the gearbox without paying too much
attention to loading on the input shaft.
3rd gear is the only gear on the input shaft so I suspect its a contributing factor.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Ahhh, well how many hp is 200 kw?

I don't speak in foreign measurement terms!!! Haha.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 PM

270hp, aussie dynos are a little different. probably around 300 on a dynojet.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You might want to give taking the TOB off the PP a chance, its not that hard and there are a few threads about it on here. Ive done it a few times.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

I spoke to MADJOHN and he said he can get some turbo gears for the beta 1 bus they come from
Still waiting for a response from him to get details on these gears he is talking about!!!
If anyone is intrested forward your intrest to Madjohn and possibly get them done for us.......
Been waitig for these gears FOR A LONG TIME hail.gif
Old 02-15-2008, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

What consists of these "turbo gears".

Lets see, Rob, lets say your rod keeps breaking at 450whp, and instead of buying forged rods you just want to toughen up stock ones. How would you do so? <---riddle of the day.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:19 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

Tanc!
Well im waiting for his reply on this as he mentioned he can get two types which are for Highway ore acceleration stronger gears.I did ask him to give me more details and pics on these gears hes talking about

BTW regarding your riddle...You saying these are OEM tranny gears which are possibly HEAT treated? hmmmm,,,
Am i right? lmao.gif lmao.gif lmao.gif
Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

We all love Mad John, and yeah, he can get us lots of stuff.

Hell, he could be the best supplier of Korean parts to the entire world.

But he's not. He rarely returns emails, PM's, or replies to his own posts here. Look them up, you'll see I'm right. I love the guy, he's passionate about the cars, knows perfect english and hangul, but just doesn't follow through. I've been trying to get a set of brake calipers from him for the past what, 6 months? 6 months to get a shipping quote.

Now I've been trying to contact him for 3 weeks about a clutch.