Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Bored TB??

Old 06-05-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K1 Tiburon

I was just wondering if it was easy to bore your TB yourself of if I should get it done by a pro? If it is something that I can do how would I go about doing it?? Thanks in advanced.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:53 PM

I would just buy a big bore throttle body as you will need a larger butterfly if you bore it yourself.

You can give your throttle body to most machine shops that deal with cars and they can do it, but make sure that they are going to replace the butterfly as well.

Unless you are good at this type of thing, I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:26 PM

the problem with boring out the TB is not the actual boring.. but getting the throttle plate to sit perfect afterwards.. this is assuming of course you could even get a bigger plate that fit into the larger opening you made...
Old 06-06-2004, 12:04 PM

mad makes sense, and if you have to ask if you can do it yourself or not, then you shouldnt do it!
Old 06-06-2004, 03:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, here's the deal.

You can do it yourself, but you better be accurate. I'd suggest doing it with a cylinder hone or something, it'll take forever.

The butterfly is not a big deal, just make a bigger one. It's just a round plate with 2 screws holding it on.

Problem is you can only bore the OEM TB to 58MM's, then you'll get into the coolant passages.

I'd suggest getting the Rside Adjustable BBTB, you can adjust it from 61 to 59MM's. It's a fantastic piece of work, I've got it.

Now, a BBTB won't do much for you if you don't bore your IM also. Some folks have said they've done it on their cars, I wouldn't do that. Too much of a risk of getting shavings in your engine.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:31 PM

I did my IM, but I didn't have to worry about shavings because I can get my stuff boiled at the shop. I have the Rside, and Redz is correct, it is beautiful. If you know of a machine shop, see how much they would charge to clean it, if they do boiling of parts. Otherwise, you can try to clean it at home, I would suggest large pipe cleaners, keep a wet wrag inside the manifold, behind where you are boring, whether it be the runners or the TB opening, and washing it with soap and water afterwards. For the TB, just bite the bullet and buy the Rside.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:56 PM

Boiling your parts? WTF?

I was talking about how some of these guys say to do the IM while it's still ON the engine. LOL HELL no!

Drafter, do you get the high pitched sucking sound when you accel?
Old 06-06-2004, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2K1 Tiburon

Arite thanks for all the replies and I wasnt going to do it myself I was just asking thats all, I am going to get a BBTB, and what Redz and drafter say prolly the RSide, I have the RSide SS and I love it. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:35 PM

No problem.

If you can wait a bit, we are gonna have a GB on the Rside Adjustable BBTB, prolly late next month.

Or, you can get in on the Ramair IM and the BBTB right now that we are running.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:11 PM

you CAN bore the intake on the car.. but it is not something I recommend. If you are going to do it... stuff a rag tightly in there and liberally coat EVERYTHING with grease.. metal shavins stick to that almost as well as steel shavings stick to a magnet.. I did the same when I had to drill and tap that stupid bolt I broke off when I replaced the cam..