Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

bogging down

Old 02-09-2005, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your plug wires, mine went out shortly after 60000 miles. change those and plugs and see if the problem still exists
Old 02-09-2005, 12:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

8 times out of 10 it'll be plugs and wires. For the tranny problem... a lot of other Tib owners have problems 1-2 shift. They are just inherently bad I think.... I personally don't have problems with it. Every once in a while it doesn't shift as "smooth" as normal... a little click sound when it gets into gear. my tranny only has 12683 on it, non abused. ;/
Old 02-09-2005, 12:33 PM

I agree... when I tried running wires that did not quite fit (for the 1.8 instead of the 2.0) I had the same symptoms as I could not get a decent spark at anything above idle
Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 PM

UPDATE - i went to autozone and i got a P0304, which means that cylinder 4 is misfiring. i don't think it's my plugs or wires, because i pulled them off one by one and on all four cylinders, when i pulled the wire the engine dropped substantially. also, i pulled the stock plugs awhile back and replaced them with some platinums, and that couldn't be more than 6k miles ago. the book in the computer checker said that possible causes are a vacuum leak, plugs or wires, the coil, high/low fuel pressure or fuel injector problem, and as i've said, i don't think it's the plugs.. well, since that narrows it down SO much, i guess i'm going to have to take it up to my friends shop, the only problem is it's up a very large hill, and with my car limping along i'm afraid to take it up, lol. but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now, maybe how to single out the problem, because i don't wanna go to the dealer and pay them $100 for a fuel injector service if i don't need it, especially considering i'm poor. and as for the tranny, i've abused it a lot in the 12k miles i've owned it, and the synchros are definitely shot. it isn't just that it doesn't shift smoothly, it's so far that it really grinds gears between 1st and 2nd if i'm much over 3k rpm. but, once again, thank you all for your help and any future help is appreciated.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Vacuum leak is probably not the cause unless its a big one. And you would be able to hear it if its big enough to cause a lot of bogging.

The coil maybe... I don't really know much about coils. I've never had to bother with any, so I don't know anything about them. tongue.gif

A fueling problem is possible... you could pull the pump to check and see if its visibly broken, its right under the backseat. Or you could get your hands on a fuel pressure gauge.

Injectors... I dunno. You could always get some injector cleaner and run it through there.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I don't see the answer here, so I'll ask.

Did you get your wires replaced or not? I know, I know, you don't think it's the wires, but that doesn't answer the question.

I've got a set of OEM ones here that are in perfect shape, I'll send them to you for free if you want them to test.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:47 PM

cylinder 4 is misfiring.. it is the plug or wire.. if it was the coil, then both it and the other cylinder it supplies (1?) would also be misfiring.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 PM

no, i didn't change the wires. do they replace those in the 60k service at the dealer? cuz if not, then i haven't changed them. if you want to send them to me, i can pm you with my address, i would appreciate it. i don't suppose there are any other suggestions? i bought a fuel injector cleaner today to see if that helps, but it hasn't seemed to do anything. maybe after i run it a bit more tomorrow it'll help, but if not, i'm completely stumped. and of course, the one mechanic i do know has more work than he knows what to do with, so i guess i'm gonna have to drive it like it is and hope that nothing blows up....
Old 02-09-2005, 09:18 PM

i dought they do man, trust me its your plugs and wires. take redz up on his offer and save your self some money. if you don't believe me change that other stuff... the dealer??? ha...
Old 02-09-2005, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sure, PM me man. I'll box em up and send em out Priority Mail tomorrow. Costs like 4 bucks.