Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

bogging down

Old 02-08-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bogging down

alrighty, here's the problem. all of a sudden, my 2000 tib bogs down fairly bad in the lower RPM's. it used to accelerate smoothly, albeit slowly, at the lower RPM's, say between 2k and 2.5k. now, however, it bogs down and kinda jumps back and forth until you get to a high enough RPM and then it takes off. now please, don't tell me it's technique, cuz i've been driving this car for awhile now, and i've never had this problem. it's got just over 70k with the manual tranny. any help would be appreciated. and oh yeah, i read that a tranny from a '97 elantra will work in my car, so two questions about that. one, anyone know where to get one for cheap, preferrably new, but if not, then a used one with some sort of warranty. two, i'm assuming it's the same tranny with a different gear ratio, so a clutch kit for the 2000 tib tranny should work on the '97 tranny, right?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:11 PM

you need a tune up. the spark isn't getting there efficently enough.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah... before you go start replacing trannies I would do the basic maintenence things first... plugs/wires, new air filter, oil chance, etc. Maybe even flush the tranny.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:16 AM

Jw whens the last time you checked the airfilter
Old 02-09-2005, 07:22 AM

yeah id say its gotta be a filthy air filter suffocating ur engine or a weak spark, i wouldnt blame your tranny thats for sure...
Old 02-09-2005, 07:27 AM

ya check your filter dude, i wanna know if i was right for once, so i can do my stick that in your pipe saying.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:31 AM

QUOTE (hamhead)
Yeah... before you go start replacing trannies I would do the basic maintenence things first... plugs/wires, new air filter, oil chance, etc. Maybe even flush the tranny.

once again I will go and agree whole heartedly with hamhead. When was the last time you had a tune up?? Check your plugs, if you havent in a while im sure theyre gone....get wires while youre at it. air filter if probably dirty as heck and oil "change" as ham meant to say. Get these done first if you havent done them yet, and then let us know if theres still a problem.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 AM

UPDATE- i threw a CEL this morning, the problem i was having at low RPM's is happening at all rpm's now. even at idle, the engine is twitching back and forth very visably. it's a K&N filter, and i checked it this morning and it looks clean. i had a coworker mention the catalytic converter, which if something is wrong with that, the car would go into "limp mode", right? i'm wondering if that's what it is. so i think i'm gonna take it to autozone and get them to give me an error code to see what it is, and then i'll post again i guess. if you have any other guesses, please post them, i'm willing to try just about anything to get my car running right.
and btw the tranny is another subject entirely. on the tranny, i blew the synchro out on it, so it grinds between first and second gear. i know that it has nothing to do with my engine problems, but i was hoping to get some insight because its one of the many repairs i need to make.
and also, i just had my 60k service about 5k miles ago, an oil change just recently and i'm gonna go check my plugs as we speak.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 AM

do not forget the fuel filter.. if it is clogged, you are starving your engine.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:01 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

I have the same problem with my 2000 Tib so I'm interested to hear if you resolve this problem. I recently installed new plugs and wires and do all the other regular maintenance, as required. I haven't checked my AEM filter recently so I'll have to do that.