Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Big Bore Throttle Body Questions

Old 07-25-2001, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bore Throttle Body Questions

After I get done installing my CAI I was looking to go ahead and get a BBTB and port out my IM to match it. I have a few questions about this before I do it though.

Does doing this mod really void your entire engine warranty? I know if I buy the SR throttle body, its pretty obvious that it's not stock. Is this something that will cause the dealership to refuse to work on my car?

I have two options when I comes to this. I can either get the SR BBTB and port the IM myself, or I could send my stock TB and IM to Onpol and have him do the work for me for around the same price. Are there any preformance differences between the two? Does the SR one give more power since its a replacement piece? Anyone have any proof of this one way or the other? If I did go with Onpol, do you think that would prevent my warranty from being voided since its work off the stock parts?

I've got a good idea of how to take off all the parts and install them, but I really don't know exactly what to bore off of the IM. I know you have to match it to the TB size, but thats kinda hard to tell when you just start grinding it down with a dremel. The last thing I want is to take out too much or screw something up. Anyone have a good diagram of exactly what to remove? I read through Brendan's tutorial and am comfortable with everything except this part. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This would be a reason to go with Onpol I guess, but it's a pain to have to remove the IM and ship it off.

Does cruise control work with the SR TB? I've heard reports both ways, hopefully someone can clarify this.

I want to keep my Tib N/A for the most part, and this looks like one of the mods that has the potential to add the most power...if anyone has any tips or advice that would be great tongue.gif

-Hans
Old 07-25-2001, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Most dealers will never notice that the TB and IM are bored. Mine never did!

If they do notice it, they might refuse to fix any problem they feel is intake or air/fuel mixture related...but they would be streching on that. If so, at that time you can always replace them with stock unbored units from a junkyard.

The SR and Onpol special are basically the same thing. The SR unit with the double puley will work with cruise control. The SR unit has stronger springs than stock, so the TB snaps shut faster, and it also has a different pulley, so it opens faster.

Onpol specials are Bored to 58mm. The SR unit can be oped up to 62 mm.

I would reccomend the modification, regardless of which way you go. The dealer more than likely won't notice a bored TB, but they will notice the "Barney" TB as Bradley and I have taken to calling it! *laugh*
Old 07-25-2001, 07:49 AM

...but they will notice the "Barney" TB as Bradley and I have taken to calling it!

rofl, yah, I did notice it kinda had a purplish hue to it. Too bad they don't come in other colors. It still would look pretty good in the engine bay tho.

I'm leaning towards just going with the SR one so I don't have to worry about removing the IM and shipping it off somewhere.

Does anyone have either a good diagram or a really good discription of what you have to bore out of the IM? I searched all through FXtreme and couldn't find anything that told you exactly how far/wide to make the opening.

Is a dremel good enough to do the job? What bits would you recommend? Thanks for all the help so far!

-Hans
Old 07-25-2001, 08:42 AM

A Dremel is no good at boring out the intake manifold, I use a Makita drill & a rasping bit. I have the Shark Racing TB, the purple looks good, just wish they had other colors. Oh yeah it (color) fades. smile.gif
Old 07-25-2001, 01:07 PM

Well I have a question and a response. Question I have heard that people that mix a bored and polished intake manifold with a new throttle body have problems can't remeber exactly what they were but I now Random had this problem. Response: The dealership can say something but you have the power of the magnos moss act behind you in short terms the act means a dealership or any company cannot refuse work on anything unless they can provide you with the same part for free (so you will just have toi tell them you craked or smashed or something to the original one that is why you replaced it) or if the physically prove it is because of your mod you have problems they can't just say that's the problem "MAGNUS ROCKS"
Old 07-25-2001, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

The problem I was having was a high idle. The problem was "Random Created" *blush*

The throttle cable was too tight, and not allowing the butterfly to close completely.

After I loosened the throttle cable back down, it went away.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

Say Random, I haven't has a high idle as such, with the bbtb, but a bouncy idle!!

When stationary the revs go between 800 and 1200. Strange. WOuld loosening the throttle cable cure this? It doesn't do it everytime though.
Sometimes if it starts bouncing it will settle down after a few mins.
Old 07-27-2001, 02:21 PM

what kind of hp gains do you get from an SR TB, bored TB, bored IM? how much does it cost to get your IM bored how much for TB?
Old 07-28-2001, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Zorro-
The bouncing idle is usually caused by two things. #1. I mis adjusted TB. If the tb is closed, or to near closed, not enough air gets past the TB to keep the car idling, so the ECU kicks on the Idle Air Bypass, Then, shuts it off to check the status of the TB again...realizes it is closed, then fires up the IAB again...repeat.

Try adjusting your TB open a bit more. Your Idle will be higher for about 2-3 minutes till the ECU trusts the TB to supply enough air and shut down the IAB.

If that does not work...consider a new TPS.

jibber686:
Gains have been posted in other threads, please seach for them. The SR TB price is listed on the webpage, the IM can be bored by Onpol for around $170 (subject to change)
Old 07-29-2001, 07:27 AM

yeah I just emailed Onpol and he told me that the IM was $300 to be bored to match the BBTB. Still a great deal considering the gains you will get.