Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Better investment

Old 01-28-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better investment

was thinking which be more worth to get first:

Underdrive Pulley and the XD/GT Cam

or

Throttle Body

reason why is n/c i havent done anything new to my car since october with the short shifter, was gonna get something new and seeing which is better to invest in.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:49 PM

QUOTE (97blacktib)
was thinking which be more worth to get first:

Underdrive Pulley and the XD/GT Cam

or

Throttle Body

reason why is n/c i havent done anything new to my car since october with the short shifter, was gonna get something new and seeing which is better to invest in.

TB would be a lot easier to install, but cam and a pulley will give you more power.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:08 PM

There's no need for a throttle body unless you allready have a header and full exhaust installed, if you do, the throttle body will be a good choice but you will have to dremel open the intake manifold to open it up to the size of the throttle body.

The underdrive pulley and cam will help out a little but I would go with the 1.8l intake cam since it is meant to be used in a car with HLA's unlike the XD/GT cam.

To take full advantage of any of the above mods it would be a good idea to get yourself a header and full exhaust first along with a cold air intake, if you allredy have the intake and exhaust either mod will help you out, but I think the cam and pulley will give a bigger increase of power to the wheels.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OP, they are all really simple installs. Hardest one will probably be the pulley. All of them would take under an hour if you know what your doing and have everything ready. Depends where you want the power...

The underdrive pulley is only going to help in first-second... maybe a hair in third. But it will create large gains in first. Break the wheels lose a hell of a lot easier.

The camshaft (get the 1.8L... not the GT. Search to find out why) is going to let you get a smidgeon of power from 3500-6000. But the camshaft won't do too much without the intake track being fully done.

The TB is not going to make much difference either way. The stock manifold isn't bad, if you bored and polished it smooth it wouldn't be that bad. What i am planning to do is buying the Air-Ram, TB, and a plenum spacer all at once. That way I only have to rip the intake track apart once.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:52 PM

I would get the cam...unless you have an AirRam or plan on getting one for the GB, then get the throttle body.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:08 PM

I would go for the complete set of 3 pulleys... but changing the cam would cost less money (including work and product)
Old 01-28-2005, 06:37 PM

Set of 3 pulleys means going through Shark Racing... meep. Even though I was thinking about buying the pulley set and 4-1 header of theirs myself... 650 dollars worth of buying should get them to ship out here pretty fast... tongue.gif

If your looking at around a 250 dollar budget... I would get the underdrive off the kSpec website and get the 1.8L cam from them or a dealership. It would be a good balance of low RPM power and higher RPM power.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:09 PM

so basically be better to get the pulley and cam unless i plan on buying the airram? will i be able to tell a differance when i drive when i install the pulley and cam? like more of a pull or ?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:24 PM

It would be better to buy something other than the TB now. You will get the most gains right now from the pulleys. The 1.8L cam won't do as much if its not getting a lot more airflow (bored TB and IM/Air-Ram). I would buy the Air-Ram/TB at the same time and install at the same time since you have to take the TB off to get to the Intake Manifold anyway.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:27 PM

QUOTE (MaxxTib)
There's no need for a throttle body unless you allready have a header and full exhaust installed, if you do, the throttle body will be a good choice but you will have to dremel open the intake manifold to open it up to the size of the throttle body.

The underdrive pulley and cam will help out a little but I would go with the 1.8l intake cam since it is meant to be used in a car with HLA's unlike the XD/GT cam.

To take full advantage of any of the above mods it would be a good idea to get yourself a header and full exhaust first along with a cold air intake, if you allredy have the intake and exhaust either mod will help you out, but I think the cam and pulley will give a bigger increase of power to the wheels.

already got the full catback and 421 header, aem intake.