Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Better 1/4 times

Old 08-20-2002, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better 1/4 times

I want to get my car running faster. I have some help on the mechanic end of everything and my dad gets parts way cheap, what is the best way to set it up? My friend and i have talked about putting in a cold-air intake and doing a dual exaust.
Any help?
Old 08-20-2002, 07:11 AM

ditch the dual exhaust

Get a 2.25 full exhaust for your Kia

A cold air intake would be nice... i dont think anyone makes one for a Rio... but you can run a search, im pretty sure some people here have made one.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:31 PM

Hey Rio, what is the size of your engine? Considering all things are to stay N/A, a 2.25" exhaust would be good for a 2.0l to 2.2l engine, maybe 1.8l but that's kinda cutting it close on the "too big" agenda. SCC has a table for exhaust sizes and if i remember correctly a 2.0" exhaust is recommended for anything lower than 1.8l/2.0l (i think). I'll update the whole table as soon as i find it.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:24 AM

you wont see much as far as in faster 1/4 mile times with just a intake and exhaust... maybe 1 second or something... not much.
if you want to go fast your going to need to do somthing like nitrous/turbo
nitrous is cheap and easy quick fix.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:02 AM

Wanna know the perfect kind of time increasing mods? Weight loss...oh yes you heard it...WEIGHT LOSS! Freeeee...easy to do...time decreasing...WEIGHT LOSS! Take out some back seats...spare tire (depending on where you live)...etc! Next best thing, switching the rims/tires, not free, but if you get lighter weight rims, same size is fine and maybe some Kumho ECSTA's, you can be looking at .5 seconds off, AND SOME STYLE! Just my 2 pennies.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:48 AM

9o7TiB7o9:
Wanna know the perfect kind of time increasing mods? Weight loss...oh yes you heard it...WEIGHT LOSS! Freeeee...easy to do...time decreasing...WEIGHT LOSS! Take out some back seats...spare tire (depending on where you live)...etc! Next best thing, switching the rims/tires, not free, but if you get lighter weight rims, same size is fine and maybe some Kumho ECSTA's, you can be looking at .5 seconds off, AND SOME STYLE! Just my 2 pennies.
weight loss doesnt make big gains like what he's looking for... i never really liked how ppl will go all out and get lightweight rims, but then put subs in their trunk, its freekin tarded.

[ August 21, 2002, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: MaDHatteR ]
Old 08-21-2002, 07:16 AM

not a music guy so i never ADD anything that weighs more then the original. Well every bit counts, everybody knows that...and hey its free...it may not get much off...but you dont spend a dime either...if you live in perfect climate areas...where you dont ever have to defrost, and you can take the heat when it comes...then take out the A/C...what is it like a shanked 200lbs? the a/c box is made out of lead or something of that matter isnt it? I dunno I live in Alaska so as soon as I heard that A/C is required for Defrost, im out on a stump smile.gif