Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Beta1/Beta2 cranks

Old 02-26-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: F2 Evolution
Default Beta1/Beta2 cranks

Does anyone know if the toothed ring on the flywheel end that the CPS/CKP reads from are the same on both engines? I recently had a big end bearing failure on the Gen3 (GK), instead of paying $1500+ on new engine, so with the help of my dad (30+ years experience rebuilding classic bike engines as a hobby, so we/he knew what he was doing) we'd measured up and compared the block with my spare Beta1 block. there was a couple things that weren't compatable flywheels were different fit, the crank seal on the flywheel end is also different depending on sump, the pistons give .2 higher compression, but we managed to get it built, checked all the clearances, everything was good, went to fire it up, won't start, no spark, borrowed the beta1 CPS, started fine, but was limiting to 3000 rpm, re-fitted a brand new Beta2 CPS, genuine from Hyundai, won't start at all. It had thrown a fault code which came back as CPS, but it seems the sensor itself isn't the problem, so leads me to think the crank wheels may be different. Both Hyundai and our Hyundai expert on the UK site are 90% sure they're the same, but both agree if its not the CPS the next thing to check is the thing its reading.