Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Beta II head questions

Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent
Default Beta II head questions

If this has been posted somewhere else then Im sorry, but I couldn't seem to find anything of relevance to this. But the question is involving mainly the beta II non-cvvt valvetrain. Is there anyway to put a beta II valvetrain into a beta I head or at least convert a beta I head into using mechanical lash adjusters instead of using HLA's? Also I bought a Complete Ferrea valvetrain for the beta I and was wondering if it would swap into a beta II non-cvvt head? On Ferrea's website, it doesnt specify which 4 cylinder motor they are for and was just wondering if they are interchangable. When I bought mine it was specified for a beta I, but was just curious. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

I don't think so. The OEM valve are not the same. Beta II are longer.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

^Correct. Beta II valves are longer by about the lenght of the Beta I valve after the lock notch, so about 5mm. You could use Beta II valves in a Beta I head with some machining but that isnt cost effective. If you wanted to convert the Beta I head to mechanical adjusters you would have to get a shop to precisely machine you some under bucket shims which would slide inside the bottom of the Beta II buckets to compensate for the hydraulic section of the other adjusters. This will make for more weight on the valvetrain but will work.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

^ I remember you saying that the valves are longer. So what bout putting my Ferrea valvetrain in a beta II head, besides using the valves? Where did you get your ferrea valves for the beta II?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

I dont have Ferrea valves for the Beta II, I have a Beta I head. You can use Beta I valve springs, seats and locks in the Beta II since with the thicker seats the entire assemblies are the same size. I believe I mentioned that to you before but I could be wrong, if need be I will take comparison photos of both for you.