Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Best stand alone on the market?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib
Default Best stand alone on the market?

Wondering what some of you guys who are using a standalone, think about it. Whats the best one out there in terms of ease of install, programming, and installation? I dont know much about them and I know generally you NEED to have them tuned and set up by someone who has experience with them. For a noob like me, would it be a good investment for someone who's boosted and thinking about going with more power down the road? Are there any tech documents anywhere that really give a good explanation and understanding of how they work and when its good to upgrade from a factory ECU to a standalone?

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Best is subjective. Some do certain functions better than others. Some are easier to install, etc.

For you if you have the V6, there are 2 plug and play options, the AEM Hydra Nemesis and the Megasquirt. If you have the 2.0l then the Megasquirt is your only plug and play option.

Many other standalone ECU's can be wired in custom and made to work.

For me, if I was going with a standalone I would go with the Megasquirt because it's a good value for my money and there are tuners around here that are familiar enough with it to get me good results if I was having issues tuning it myself.

Unless you're going really wild or looking for a specific feature a piggyback like the AEM FIC should be more than adequate to handle any amount of power you're likely to throw at it.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib

I have a beta. Figured the megasquirt would be the best one out there but dont know too much about them. Gonna have to look into it more. Thanks.