Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Belts making noise

Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'm sort of new here and am finally able to work on my car... first I need to maintain it. I had just recently had my belts changed... however, it sounds like the belts are rubbing on something... when driving on the interstate, I hear nothing, I hear it when RPMs are higher like on low gears. I called the business whom worked on my car and he told me the belts need to be 'worn in'..

I didn't believe him but I still sought advice from others and they, including a Hyundai dealership, said belts don't need to be 'worn in'

Advice? Comments? Please, go ahead...

--Mad
Old 05-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Also, another problem that's concerning me, is my idle control isn't stable... while in idle, RPMs will drop subtly then rise again, causing more severe vibrations from the engine. Recently it's becoming more frequent, sometimes at a rate of about 50 times a minute that the RPMs will drop, causing intense vibration, then rise again. My dealership said it could be a number of things.

Now able to work on this car, I'm anxious to learn much more until I can actually post DIY things... your help is appriciated as I sink into this.

--Mad
Old 05-09-2007, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Tiburon/FX

I'd say check the tension on the belts. Should only be like 1/4 or 1/8 of an inch of play. Someone correct me if im wrong on that, but I think its right.

And for the bad idle check your TPS(throttle position sensor, on the front side of the throttle body). More than likely thats your problem. Try moving around a little. If the idling gets better at one point then you know your TPS is at fault lol.

...Again if anyones thinks that there is something to correct in what I said please feel free to do so! cool.gif
Old 05-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks, looking into it now. If anyone else has suggestions too, please post.