Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Battery voltage?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tibby
Default Battery voltage?

I am going tomorrow to the garage for a tune up (too damn cold to do it outside in the snow). My battery is 4 years old and I am heading into a cold winter. I want them to check the battery voltage to make sure it is ok. What should it read? I don't want them to try and sell me a battery if I don't need it.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

It's not really about the voltage it reads. You have to load test it to get a proper status. Your local auto parts store will do it for free, just bring the battery in.

If you want to get it done at the garage, ask for the print out if they have that kind of tester, or ask to see the readouts on the tool itself.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Mine reads 12.7v off and 14.7 running.

Ask 20 people though and you will get 20 answers.

The voltage isn't the only thing that will tell you if it's good though, it depends on what it will handle under load

like when the starters cranking. Autozone or places like that will do a load test for free.

Bottom line is..if it starts and your not having any problems...it's good.

4 years is getting up there but it depends on how a battery is maintained that will determine it's life.

Some make it a few months, some can last 6-8 years or more.

Keep it full of water if it isn't sealed and keep a charge on it and it will last a long time.

If it sits for extended periods of time a battery tender will extend it's life a lot.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ what they said. Voltage of the battery will only tell you if the charge is low typically a battery at rest should read 12.4-12.9 if it is a standard 12v car battery if it is a gel cell it could read a little higher. But yeah load testing is the only way to test a battery