Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Bad Results

Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all
been a long time since i posted somthing on here.
ive done a lot to my rd 2 in the time ive been away.
the list is
supra style spoiler
ath body kit
f2 evo cam
obx crank pully
full exhaust
sports cat
4-2-1 manifold
leads and plugs upgraded

now a few months back i had the car on a rolling road with just a cai on the car and the results was 139.4 bhp.
not to bad i thought.
my girlfriend got me an apexi safc neo for my birthday last month and i took it to a garage to get it fitted. long story cut short he blew it up! got to wait for a new on now. anyway while i was there i asked him to put it on the rolling road (a different one to the first time, old as hell just 2 clocks no print outs) for a power run to chear myself up. Ha.... some how after doing all these mods i have lost 2 bhp! how has this happened?
my only ideas are the different style of rolling roads or the fact that the ecu isnt mapped so the fualing isnt right for the new mods? but even so i shouldnt see a loss should i?
what do you think?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: car

There is always a 5hp margin of loss on a dyno, anyone will tell you this. But there are also a lot of different factors in this. Air tempurature, humidity, shifting, gas, a/f ratio, old ass dyno, a ton of reasons. Don't let it dishearten you.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM

what i dont understand is that the car feels a lot quicker. i thought this might be because i want it to be quicker not that it actualy is but a number of friends agree that its a lot more frisky and my girlfriend has regular brown trouser moments now so i expected to see a pretty good increase. with the apexi i would hope for up to 160bhp if i was lucky but after that blowing up id of settled for 150 ish lol what a kick in the teeth i got
Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned

well. unless you take the engine out of the car there is really NO way to get an accurate BHP figure. how are they figuring that its BHP? again, theres no ACCURATE way to figure out the BHP in your car without removing the engine and hooking it up.

also, the tiburons from the factory were said to have 140bhp, but actually had closer to 134hp. there was a big lawsuit and some people ended up gift cards for the power being over rated.

and bliz, theres never a 5hp loss on dyno, its usually a lot more because WHP is usually like 14-20% lower than BHP because of drivetrain losses.

even if you take your car to the same DYNO, like a week later, odds are that you wont see the EXACT same power. theres a ton of factors in what your power is, and the accuracy of dyno.

are you sure that you arent getting 139 WHP with those mods and not BHP.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM

it was 110 whp and the guy who did it said it works out to 137 bhp
Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Banned

ah... well theres no way for him to know what the drivetrain loss really is in the tib. so that estimate could be off by almost 8hp.

when you dyno a car, you always just go by whp. i believe the tib is around 100whp stock.

you DEFINATELY need some tuning, cuz if your getting less than 10whp out of those mods thats not so good. the exhaust alone should be freeing up about 10-12whp. the cam should be adding a few and the obx pulley should be freeing up a little bit.

you should really look into getting an AEM cold air intake.. that will make a noticable difference.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 PM

i have a k&n cold air intake at the moment which is what took the car to 139.4bhp on the first run.
im playing with the idea of turbos at the moment or maybe a new inlet manifold. id like to get it to 180bhp for now and then 240bhp in a year or so. insurance is a killer.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'd also take a guess that your cams were installed a bit wrong, as you lost a BUNCH of power.

I'd like to see some pics of your engine bay.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

For having those mods done you shouldn't be almost reaching the stock horsepower levels. You should be at least 10 over stock.

Which you may be at, like socks said, just talk whp because there isn't guess work in it. Stock tibs get around 100 whp stock, highest I've seen is 108whp and the lows are like 95 so just use 100.

So you've got about 10 over stock, not bad, but a true aem is designed for our engines and will give you around 115whp guarenteed, knock offs usually give more power over stock (tho some rob it) but none compare to the AEM.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'm guessing his air temp sensor isn't in place for one.

I just wanna see.

BTW, any Check engine Lights?