Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

BAD DAY broken piston

Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD DAY broken piston

it was a bad day today.........took my motor apart to change what I thought was a burnt exaust valve. well the valve's turned out to be just fine so got curious and droped the oil pan, poped my #1 piston up out of the block.......well the rings fell off in a million peices and my piston had a crack from the ring glands down the side and up under the wrist pin. the crazy thing is my car has been missing slightly since last january, I thought it was just a pinhole in my valve from drag racing and using nitrous. so realy my piston has prolly been craped out since then..........thats F-ing nuts because my car has been working fine except a minor rough idel.......well my mechanic buddy that helped me was very impressed that the car even worked as good at it did with the piston in that shape.....he also said that the dammage looked like it was a defective piston and it was prolly broke from the time I bought the car and the abuse I put the car through made it worse. ....lol
Old 01-26-2005, 08:33 PM

well.. NO2 can be pretty hard on pistons.. So, how does the bore look? you going to have to rebore it smooth or can you just hone it out and slide a new piston in?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:36 PM

suprisingly the cylender walls are fine so just a hone and slide the new one in thank god....lol
Old 01-26-2005, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Bah NO2 is nice to pistons compared to other things... either way, I also would concur with your mechanic that your engine is a resilient little sucker and it probably has been like that all the time and putting the little bit more power through the combustion chamber weakened it over time. A little bit longer and it probably would've went KABOOM. So props for not being lazy and driving it like that for another year tongue.gif (doubt it would've lasted three months longer from what you describe, if that smile.gif)
Old 01-26-2005, 09:26 PM

oops i said sice january.......I ment july.......cant dragrace in the snow up here in Canadia...lol
Old 01-26-2005, 09:41 PM

Take this bad day and do something good with it.... maybe change to high compression pistons... or maybe bore the engine internals.... even you can change the intake cam......

But be sure that everything is OK internal.... a broken piston can do serious damage to the cylinder walls.... valves.... etc... just check and double check.... its better safe than sorry later.....
Old 01-26-2005, 09:49 PM

^^That's a good idea. Take advantage of the situation.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:14 PM

High Compression pistons just don't drop in. Need new seats, rings, etc. I doubt he wants his engine apart for a month waiting for various parts, and even then he runs nitrous. Nitrous + High Compression = Bad Idea.

You've got it apart... my recommendation would be to clean all the carbon, maybe mess with the intake/exhaust ports with a dremel if you can. If its your daily driver, just clean it.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 PM

If I was him, I would upgrade what I could since everything's out..I would wait a few weeks for the parts as well but, then again, I do have an extra vehicle to use and we don't know his financial situation.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:28 PM

If you can, by all means splurge on 16 new oversized valves, new rings, new bearings, etc. Save you some labor in the long run if you are going to put more power through your car. Hell, you could take a second mortgage out on the house and blueprint the block, drop in forged pistons, new rings, new bearings, new oversized valves. tongue.gif

Let us know when you get your car up and running. smile.gif