Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Autotragic Transmission Service.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*public service announcement*

To those 1999 and earlier Tiburon owners and AT owners in general, I highly recommend you get your transmission serviced at the 30K interval and at regular intervals thereafter.

My mechanic, who has been spot-on up front from day one, informed me a lot of 99 and older Hyundais have come in with transmission problems mainly from lack of maintenance. MY car had a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) which was replaced under warranty. Also, I opted for the tranny service consisting of a flush and fill, filter replacement and a quick once-over. The FILTER MUST BE REPLACED! If it gets clogged your tranny fluid will quickly turn black. If you're not servicing your car properly, the dealership may not service the car under warranty and you may have to come out of pocket.

My total charge was $258.00. The TPS replacement was free.

That is all.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tib

this happened to me bc my tranny was not properly maintained by the previous owner it cause my overdrive to go out and thus having to have the tranny rebuilt and i was out $1600.00
Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I knew nothing about doing the above mentioned till my 93 Excel started running very bad, shifting really rough, and feeling like poo.

So, I took it to the local hobby shop (A few years ago, it was at 110,000 miles) and decided to see if the fluid needed changed. I didn't know much about cars, and didn't even really know AT Tranny's needed it.

When I took the pan off, the stuff almost made me puke. It stank, BAD. The fluid also wasn't. It was more like a thick paste.

And black.

Remember that thing that killed Tasha from Star Trek TNG?

lol.gif

That was in my engine.

So, I changed out the fluid and filter, washed the entire area I could get to with a clean lint free rag soaked in AT fluid (The Hobby Shop guys said I'd need a new tranny), and put it all back together. It ran like a bat out of hell again :evilguy: . She's now at (168,000) miles and still running as good as the day I bought her. She still does 110 MPH, and handles pretty good for a 10 year old beater.

Moral of this story, clean your shieat, keep records of yur work.

KEEP your warranty!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:44 PM

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
Moral of this story, clean your shieat, keep records of yur work.

KEEP your warranty!

YES, keep the records of all maintenance that your dealership does. So when they ask, "Has your car been serviced regularly?" you don't have to fumble or answers and/or blatantly lie because if you hadn't, they already know. wink1.gif
Old 08-21-2003, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 1999 BMW 328i

in my 97 sonata, the tranny is by far the most serviced part. i've had the whole assembly go before, and just recently, the shift linkage went.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:04 AM

Default Triple pillar pod for my hyundai turbulence SE

Well for my 98' Tibby, my AT valve started to leak transmission fluid.
The local agent suggested to replace the whole torque convertor and valve.

Guess i could go down to the local scrapyard to locate a Manual Transmission/Gear box. Might be a cheaper way out.

suggestions? 02.gif
Old 01-05-2004, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ebay for the tranny.