Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Automatic Transmission Help

Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help with changing auto. trans. fluid. I know about using the Hyundai ATF and I just wanted to make sure it was as simple as pulling the drain plug and refilling 7 quarts through the dipstick tube. I've searched the Hyundai service site and this site but only came up with manual trans. info
Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you never have, get a filter from the dealership and pull the pan, remove and replace the filter. Then replace the pan and refill thru the dipstick tube. You won't be able to get all the fluid in, because something like half of the fluid in the transaxle is resting in the torque converter.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 PM

Is the filter easily accessible once the pan is dropped?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

If I recall correctly it's right there under the pan, but I've slept since then. We really should have a DIY of this . . . guys . . . looking at all you A/T owners here . . .
Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the help
Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

My Tiburon which I no longer have had a manual transmission but my wife has a 1999 Elantra which has the same engine and automatic transmission as the Tiburon and I have changed the fluid in that. When you remove the pan the filter is right there totally exposed. It is bolted in place. If you buy the filter kit from the dealer it also comes with a new pan gasket.

You will also see that there are a number of magnets on the bottom of the pan which sit in dimples. I took the opportunity to remove all the magnets and clean them up and completely wipe out the inside of the pan before reinstalling the magnets.

Have fun!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Ah yes the magnets.

In my trans. pan, they were covered with the remnants of needle bearings. Not a good sign, that. wink1.gif