Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Automatic Tranny And Steering Problems? Help!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I've seen and heard of a ton of issues with the Tiburon, and how to fix them. This is new to me. Here's whats up:

When I'm driving from a dead stop, the car begins to accelerate in 2nd gear, but as soon as I feel it shift to 3rd THE FRIGGIN STEERING WHEEL AND TIRES TURN OFF SLIGHTLY TO THE LEFT??? The car could be driving fine on a nice steady curve to the right, and then out of nowhere the car just decides to shift its steering over to the left. THE SECOND IT GOES INTO 4TH or back down to 2nd, the steering corrects itself and goes back to the right. Is this transmission related? Steering Rack? I have no clue.

It doesn't matter how tight I hold that steering wheel, when the tranny hits 3rd, off it goes. And every now and then I'm bouncing back and forth between 2nd and 3rd, because the car is underpowered and going uphill, sometimes results in the car going left, then right, then left then right. I'm serious, this stuff is dangerous. I've checked the front sway bar, and I've checked the suspension, and anything else I've had off the car before. No check engine light, or other issues. Its getting worse everytime I drive it.

ANY IDEAS??? I dont want to, but I'm about to take this beast to the dreaded Dealership to find out whats up so I can fix it, then sell the car. Its costing me tons of cash to maintain this car, and I'm about to get something new for me and my wife to drive up to Vegas once a week through the desert uphill 220 miles per trip. This car obviously is not safe to make that drive anymore, so I want to sell the car to my buddy and have this fixed first.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:11 PM

I've never driven an automatic Tib before so I don't know, but could it be torque steer maybe? Like due to the powerband of the one particular gear? That's just a guess on my part, but it sounds like it's related to torque steer. Has it always done that?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:32 PM

no its never done this. It started doing it after I got the car aligned and bought new tires. That makes no sense, but its doing it, and only in 3rd gear? The tranny never slips or does what my dying Autos have done in the past. This has only been going on for the past 2 months or less.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:44 PM

Ok, then the next thing that comes to mind is that something has possibly worked its way loose in the front end, tie rod end maybe, and the particular torque curve of third gear causes the loose part to move, changing the steering angle... It's a guess, but an educated one. I'd try to get it up in the air on a rack and look at it. I definately don't think I'd drive it until then.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:26 PM

yeah no kidding. I just need to check the Tie Rod. I looked at it from under the car while it was jacked up. I noticed I have a loose wheel bearing on the passenger side front, so I'll need to pull off the Knuckle and get it realigned anyway. While I have the right side of the car all dismantled, I might as well take a look at the left side and see if anything is screwed up.

Also, something that has been going on forever. The front suspension or something (most likely the part that is not performing correctly) makes a popping noise, clearly audible, when I'm coming to a quick stop, or I'm going over a speedbump slowly. When I turn a corner slowly sometimes I hear it as well. Sound like something is supposed to be lubed and instead its kinda popping into place after resisting movement??? I have no clue what it is, but I'm sure they're related and its just binding to the point where I notice it in driving now? I think this sounds like a trail to follow after, I just dont know how to tell what part is bad, so I can replace it.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 PM

Wow. That is a really weird problem that I've never heard of before. Unless the transmission is shifting hellaciously hard from 2-3, then torque steer shouldn't be the problem. Who did the alignment/tires? Unless it was a reputable place to get alignments, they probably did a "toe-n-go" which means they only changed 1 of 3 major alignment aspects, which is enough to get your wheel straight, and the car track straight. Doesn't mean it won't have other weird problems.

Come to think of it, if you have loose steering/suspension components, they should have informed you of it and replaced them BEFORE doing an alignment. Most crappy shops (I've worked at a few, and it's quite frustrating to see this happen) toss your car on the machine and don't even do a pre-alignment check. I'll bet they didn't even check your ride height.

The clicking/clunking noise could be alot of things, including control arm bushing, ball joint, upper strut mount, caliper slide pin bushing, etc.

Still doesn't make alot of sense to me as to why it would torque steer when shifting into 3rd, but alignments can do some weird stuff when not done properly.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:44 AM

I'll scan my alignment report they gave me. I take my cars to a place where they do the work underground, so your car can be as low as they come, but since it was my wifes car on stock suspension, I just brought it to a spot near my house. Its a really nice spot, just not able to work on anything aftermarket. I know I have a bad bearing too, but still, I have no clue why ONLY when that shift happens the car moves over. Its not making any strained noises at all, just normal shifting, but pulled off to the left.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:07 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

I had a simular problem, I would be driving and any change in speed would cause the steering to change itself. if i wasn't holding the steering wheel it would turn itself. If I held the steering wheel tight it would change the direction of the car. Very dangerous and was especially scary on the highway.

In the image below I put a black square around the bolt that caused this problem. It's the front mount bolt for the control arm. The same bolt it shows on the left side of the cross member. If it is loose at all the slightest movement in it will cause severe steering affects. When I did the tie rod test where you push on the side of the wheel it moved so I thought that was it. But when I looked under while I had someone else push on it I could see the bolt moving. In my case it was loose enough I could turn it by hand the first time. It came loose once more after that but I tightened it properly and it has been fine for 2 months now.

Hope thats the problem and it's nothing serious, not that that isn't serious because if thats the case and that bolt comes out your wheel comes off while you are driving.

As far as the popping sound when hitting bumps and when slowing, try tightening the top front strut mount bolts. The one under the hood that you have to remove the dust cap for and is covered in grease. That solved my problem. Or it could just mean your struts are almost shot.