Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Automatic Starting Off In 2nd Gear?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I got a 2001 Tiburon Se 2.0L Auto. I swear alot of the time, it feels like its in 2nd gear if not 4rd gear starting off. Unless I floor it, or give it atleast 3/4 Gas, it feels kinda sluggish. Definatley in the wrong gear? Is this Normal or could it be signs of transmission issues.

The transmission works fine the rest of the time, its just every once in awhile it feels like it doesnt return to 1st gear when coming to a complete stop?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

try getting your coilpack inspected, perhaps MAF sensor or IAT sensor is bad check those. check the easy stuff first before you get the trans checked. i never had that problem in any of our long hyundai history but i the closest i had to your problem was the coilpack needed to be changed.

worst case it's your transmission or one of the sensors inside. when i went to get my trans fixed they said it had to be rebuilt and the sensor replaced and it was a pain in the ass so i just got a 5speed swap.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Hey guys, I got a 2001 Tiburon Se 2.0L Auto. I swear alot of the time, it feels like its in 2nd gear if not 4rd gear starting off. Unless I floor it, or give it atleast 3/4 Gas, it feels kinda sluggish. Definatley in the wrong gear? Is this Normal or could it be signs of transmission issues.

YOU HAVE A FORD GEAR? saweet. lmao.gif

Has it always "done this" because that's how automatic tiburons feel (they are not "peppy" stock).

I'm sure your transmission is fine. Automatics can shift (manually) into first, right? Do it and see if it "feels" better.

Do you have a Check Engine Light? maybe your car is in limp-in mode. Does the car sound different, it might be a misfire. You can do a quick check of the wires, make sure they're securely fastened onto the plugs and coilpack, IN THE RIGHT ORDER, and not damaged.

Do any work on the car lately? Maybe forgot to put a sensor in, I always forget the Intake Air Temperature Sensor...

Hope you fix it!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:24 PM

Having an Auto it is slower then the manuals I have. like the others said check your plugs and wire's.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

Its just the way an auto transmission starts. It pretty much always starts in 2nd if you dont floor it. Even flooring it, it shifts down to 1st, you can feel it and if its quiet enough out you can hear it. I'm probably the only one that does this but I shift my auto lol. So I havnt felt waht drive feels like from a stopped position in a while.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

you shift your auto? waat? that might be why because when you manually use 1 and 2 and then D it will ruin your transmission for sure. those are only for emergency. you're supposed to use just "D"
Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 AM

^ agreed, you are supposed to only use drive. But (im not a mechanic so dont quote me), ive had a few auto cars, and ive always shifted atleast 1st and 2nd. Ive never had any sort of transmission problem, including my tib which is auto, and has 40k of which ive put 20 shifting like that everyday.

I honestly cant see a major problem with it. If you pick your shift points correctly, you can decrease the time during the shift that the car is between gears (what my mechanic friends tell me is very bad for autos), and it will still shift smoothly.

Question. Crystallic have you tryed running a ground wire to your trans? ive never had the problem, but another friend of mine said that fixed the no shift down at stop lights for his honda.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 AM

Ill try the ground wire to the trans, I havnt done that yet tho.

As for doing any mechanical work to the motor, I havnt done antying lately, besides oil changes. The check engine light is not on, and I dont think its a spark plug or wire issue, just cause, the car is fast & runs very well. Its just sometimes it seems to start off in 2nd, you can tell its not an engine issue, but deinfatley transmission. Casue if I floor it, it drops down agear & it takes off like a bat out of hell. Thanks for the input guys, I think its just the way the transmission prob is?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:34 AM

Where you live at. Mabe theres a other rdtib member close by that you can get a scond opoinon from.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon

try checking your vacum lines... that is what was wrong with my last car that was a auto and it stayed in 3rd when starting...