Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Auto Tranny Ideas

Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

My first tranny was replaced after 62,000 miles under warranty. Since then, I've gone about 62,000 miles, and now it's giving me trouble... but only sometimes...

Here's the situation. When this tranny dies, I'm swapping a manual. I'd prefer to make it hold out until December at least, after I graduate and can carpool to work with the wifey in her Mustang. Until then, I NEED transportation for the next month. So...

Scenario of Problem: When the car is cold (been sitting 2+ hours) the transmission will jerk, sometimes with a slight delay before shifting. Only 2nd & 3rd seem to be affected. I'll drive it slowly around the neighborhood in the morning to get it worked up a little bit and have it shift as easily as possible before getting on the main road. Usually takes about 2-3 minutes. Here's the thing... once it's warmed up, it shifts perfect fine and smoothly. Even if it's been sitting for an hour or so. No jerking, nothing noticeable, perfectly fine.

Problem #2: At 90,000 miles I had the timing belt changed, tranny fluid checked, the usual maintenance. Didn't realize it at the time, but the dealership broke the dern ATF Dipstick. I can't check my fluids! Not sure if it's in the dipstick holder or broken off elsewhere and they just stuck the nub in there.

Possible Reason?: Is the problem possibly just low/worn out ATF? Since it doesn't have ANY problems once warmed up, would changing the fluid probably fix my problems?

I don't want to pay $100+ for ATF change if it won't fix problem and I'm just gonna swap it in a month. I'm tight on cash (just bought a house, got married, you know the usual stuff) so I'm looking for ideas as to what the problem may be.

Problem 1 makes me think there is no physical damage to the tranny.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

well to tell you the truth, changing the fluid may change the problem.. although, its not really much of a problem. A LOT of automatic transmissions need the fluid to be at operating temperature before itll shift right.

think about it, when the oil is really cold, from sitting all night, its thicker, and once it warms up, it gets thinner, so it can lubricate the gears and everything like its supposed to.

your transmission is probably perfectly fine, you just need to let it warm up when its cold out. just let your car warm up for 10 min. and everything will probably be fine..

in my auto DSM, when it was cold, and it gets cold here, lol.. if i started my car, when cold, it would rev to like 6k in first, before it would shift, and would jerk all over, if i let it, for the first few minutes.. same thing happened with my shitty tempo.

someone else was recently having this problem on here. no worries man, your transmission is fine. smile.gif
Old 11-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

My car always warms up for 5-10 minutes... ALWAYS. I have a remote starter, and it's almost always up to the normal operating temp. when I get in.

I get out of the shower, hit my garage door opener (keep a spare one in the bedroom), start the car from bedroom, THEN I get dressed, get ready for school/work, then leave the house. It ALWAYS warms up for 5-10 minutes, plus it's always parked in the garage.

In the 6 years I've owned the car, this is the first winter it's acted this way. It's kinda scary... the car jerks pretty dang hard sometimes. Will the Tranny Fluid warm up without ever taking it out of park? I allow the car plenty of time to warm up, but I don't have a tranny temp gauge installed
Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Have you changed the transmission fluid at all? It is required regular maintenance. The transmission shouldn't be failing after 60,000 miles unless you are beating the hell out of it. If you haven't changed it at all you are way overdue and that should be the first thing you do.

That dipstick issue is kind of scary as well. If I understand you correctly it sounds like the metal rod part that goes down the tube into the transmission is missing now. If it came off and fell down into the transmission that could be bad for business. It's pretty sad if it happened when the car was being serviced and they decided not to tell you about it.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Administrator

The car was serviced at 90,000 miles for the regular maintenance (timing belt changed, oil, ATF CHECKED, etc.). Transmission was replaced at 62,000 miles, this tranny has 65,000 miles on it. THIS tranny was checked at 30,000 and is due for maintenance right now. Hyundai Auto Trannies are known to blow up quickly.... it seems inevitable. I do drive the car hard, but regradless, the tranny shouldn't be as fragile as it is
Old 11-09-2006, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well changing the fluid wouldn't hurt and wouldn't be too expensive and would probably ensure that you make it until Decemberish for the swap.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM

This is a good read M. I was surprised to find that heat can affect the ATF to the point where it's only good for 5000miles!! So yours could be ready. smile.gif

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/t.../ques123_0.html
Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM

the cold jerky shifting and shift flare is a common problem with Hyundai blondomatics....mine does the same thing let your car warm up drive it normaly and reset the ecu at normal operating temp. that should fix it.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

my accents auto tragic is giving me trouble too, im also hoping to make it through the winter.

As soon as the auto craps out, or winter ends, whichever comes first; im 2.0L/manual swapping that bitsh.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

^^^ that's exactly where I'm at ^^^
Hoping to make it through winter, then going manual.

My problem: I know NOTHING about a manual. Never had one, never worked on one. I am trying to find as MANY resources available to me so I can learn as much as possible before performing the swap. Hell, you could say I don't even know a clutch from a flywheel (seriously, I know nothing about manual transmissions). I'm looking for help, any a few phone numbers to call if I get stuck in the process of swapping.

I want common problems I may run into
I want to know everything necessary or abnormal about a Tiburon Auto -> Manual swap
Does Auto/Manual have different size axles?
Is there any rewiring necessary for Speedo or Reverse lights to work?

I'll have my cousin helping me who swapped his 02 Galant to a 5spd from an Eclipse tranny.

Now, I know that a precautionary measure for the Transmission is to lock it into 3rd gear (I believe that's right) so no further damage will be caused. The transmission will bang and knock and jerk and eventually lock into 3rd gear (won't shift up or down, even when coming to a stop and taking off). I turn off car and restart and it resets and goes back to normal... by that point it usually shifts fine, with minor jerking.