Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Approaching 30k Miles

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be hitting 30k miles after this gas tank, I just wanted the opinions of you fine people, as to what kinda of maintenance I should have done other than the general oil change. Im looking to change the tranny fluid but I need to fine a shop that will.

Should I have my clutch inspected too?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

On a manual the fluid change is super easy man. No need to take it somewhere. Pick up some Redline MT-90 fluid and do it.

30k? Wow, thats low. I would see if you can get the timing belt cover off and just inspect it for cracks. The mileage isnt there but it may have sat and rotted a bit. Otherwise oil change and check brakes and stuff real good. Maybe a fuel filter would be a good idea.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM

I was thinking maby getting the clutch inspected too, my only reason being some time I think it maby slips a little, and im not saying I drive like an a-hole but I cant really even chirp second in a stright line. Maby its fine. I recieved my car with 18k miles and the last owner who was the first also was a girl, (not saying girls cant drive or any thing). Im just wondering what kinda punishment my car went through before I got it.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

clutches either work or don't If you're going to take off everything to get it inspected, you may as well change it too. If you don't like your clutch get a grippier clutch.

You can always try going 35, depressing the clutch and then letting go slightly until the RPMs bearly start to rise for 10 secconds. That removes some oxidation and makes a new surface on the clutch. It works for me.

You should have your oil changed, get the car up on a lift and inspect everything. I can't remember if the coolant is at 30,40, or 50,000 miles, same with fuel filter. There arent too many regular replacement parts on our cars. Fuel filter, timing belt (change water pump too), and oil are the big ones. The rest is pretty much inspect and replace as needed. If you spend a couple of hours under the tib, you're bound to inspect everything.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

fuel filter is not such a pain, the DIY is pretty good here, just make sure to spray the bolts with PB blaster before starting. I second checking the timing belt, Just because the car has low miles doesn't mean that the belt doesn't have low years on it. Rubber degrades over time and like DTN said who knows how long its been sitting. Fluid flush is cake as there is a handy drain valve at the bottom of the radiator. drain, fill, run, empty repeat x2 and then fill with correct antifreeze.

transmission flush on a stick is cake, its easier then an oil change. Buy a funnel with a hose though it will save you a lot of aggravation. And if your doing a oil change may want to take the valve cover off and clean your PCV valve channel and replace the pcv valve.

DTN- that just seems like you would be glazing the flywheel instead of resurfacing it. Wouldn't that be the same as riding the clutch?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No. Riding the clutch is different. Friction without pressure does not build up heat and removes glaze. Friction and pressure will glaze the clutch. Try it, you'll feel a difference.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Jorge, if you ever want to just get it up on a lift and take a look underneath your car while its running you could come up to lake worth and I got one you can use. I wouldn't take it to a shop down here until you really have a very good idea for what's wrong (if anything) unless your just trying to give someone money for pretty much nothing.