Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Another Ticking/knocking engine

Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

...and, unless the seller is a dealer, who says they're not chinese counterfeits! I trust a dealer 10000x more than any ebay seller. A knockoff window regulator doesn't kill the heart of the car, and a cheap replacement armrest might not fit but the engine will still run...
Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0

Originally Posted by Stocker
...and, unless the seller is a dealer, who says they're not chinese counterfeits! I trust a dealer 10000x more than any ebay seller. A knockoff window regulator doesn't kill the heart of the car, and a cheap replacement armrest might not fit but the engine will still run...
True, there are some things that might be worth the chance to buy from Ebay, and some things you don't. I havent used ebay that much, mostly things costing a couple of dollars worth only, so no big loss.

Edit: Due to utter laziness, which i have been commented on i removed my question and figured id find out myself. I apologize.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Now you don't even care. It takes 40 seconds to look!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Now you don't even care. It takes 40 seconds to look!

Did have a look at it today, but all i could make out from the sticker (which was torn up) was S2808. Im guessing this is some part number or something?

Does anyone know if this is an OEM filter? Did some research and it seems to be an STP filter. Doesn't really look like the sticker of an STP filter, but as i said its a bit torn to pieces... Im guessing this is NOT an OEM filter.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Holy cow dude you should have had the new OEM filter on already by now, just go do it!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Holy cow dude you should have had the new OEM filter on already by now, just go do it!
Will go get one as soon as possible. Haven't driven the car that much, but just haven't had the time to check due to school...

When i do a flush and change the oil and filter, and ad some Mystery Oil i should make out a difference in about 15 mins of careful driving as you stated in the other thread you linked to? Don't know how long the knocking has been going on when the previous owner had it. Could running it with this knocking have caused severe damage to the engine/cams?

When i get 10w30, should it be High mileage or just plain 10w30 Synthetic from Mobil 1? Found that the High mileage from Mobil 1 is cheaper, but if thats not what I'm supposed to use i won't.

Thanks guys
Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

theres actually a TSB from hyundai regarding knocking and non OEM filters. i found one that seems to work well, but not sure if you can get it where you are. i'm sure its just sold under a different name but i wouldn't know how to find it. ones i use are from carquest in canada.

maybe try to buy a flat of them from a dealer? also there are cheap parts dealers online....i think 1sthyundaiparts is one. just a few thoughts.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
theres actually a TSB from hyundai regarding knocking and non OEM filters. i found one that seems to work well, but not sure if you can get it where you are. i'm sure its just sold under a different name but i wouldn't know how to find it. ones i use are from carquest in canada.

maybe try to buy a flat of them from a dealer? also there are cheap parts dealers online....i think 1sthyundaiparts is one. just a few thoughts.

1sthyundai had a shipping and handling fee of 14 bucks, so ill just order and pickup at the local dealer.

Do anyone know the part number for the Oil filter? Havent been able to find the OEM number, just numbers from all different kinds of manufacturers.

Should i use high mileage oil or regular synthetic oil?

Thanks for looking after this beginner
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Go to the dealer and say "oil filter." They were the same for all engines for a LONG time, not sure if they are still the same part.

Use a synthetic oil of the appropriate weight for your climate. In SD that means 10W30 pretty much year round. Brand almost doesn't matter, and get high mileage mix if you want.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Go to the dealer and say "oil filter." They were the same for all engines for a LONG time, not sure if they are still the same part.

Use a synthetic oil of the appropriate weight for your climate. In SD that means 10W30 pretty much year round. Brand almost doesn't matter, and get high mileage mix if you want.

Okey Thanks, Will give them a call on monday instead to order the filter. Makes it more simple than order through their online store...

Im guessing i should stay away from cheap brands, but that Mobil and Castrol oils are good.

Now i just have to wait until the dealer opens on Monday, and then to get some time and it should be done i also have to find some sort of engine flush to run through the system before i change the oil and filter.

Thanks guys!