Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Another Performance Chip? What do you think

Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000
Default Another Performance Chip? What do you think

Well I have been looking for the next mod beside turbo, and browsed upon this volo performance chip. It says it is not a resister but is a soft flasher which alters fuel/air and alters timing so they say through your obd.

Just wanted to get some opinions about it, I have read and some people say it works some don't but here is the website http://www.voloperformance.com/volochip.html
Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

After doing a bunch of research I would have to go with "unlikely that it works, at best".

I am intrigued but in all my research not a single person (outside of Volo's website) said that they installed it and it worked. Even the IAT resistor chips have a bunch of people saying they worked. lol. This is obviously not just a resistor, but it's also not application specific I'm sure. If it does work at all it'll be writing onto the ECU in ways that may be unpredictable. I am tempted to buy it and do before and after dyno runs just to see, but in the end I don't think it's worth the cost of everything involved in that.

The communication ports on the OBDII interface are capable of writing to the ECU, but it's not as simple as these Volo people are claiming it is. If it is that simple the process would be patentable then they wouldn't have to keep the process proprietary and could prove how and why it works instead of refusing to share that knowledge.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM

they also sell them on ebay and some say it works on the feedback and then again some say it don't. I think there name is voloperformance
Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Elantra(Dead project) 1986 Golf(Track whore) 2000 Ranger(Daily)

No, it wont work. They all fail.

What will work is something that will actually modify the inputs to the ecu, in a sense tricking it to thinking something else. And a solid state resistor is not it. The ecu is smarter than that and will call it a sensor failure.

Spend the money, get an Apexi SAFC-II
Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yeah, at least this thing isn't a resistor.

I looked at the pics of the inside of the chip and it's a real chip with a processor and memory. The wires tapped are wires which would allow the ECU to be flashed. My only issue is that it's not as easy as knowing the wires and having a chip to re-write the ECU. Even if it was it would be almost impossible to intelligently remap the ECU for the better without reasonably extensive testing on the specific vehicles.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Yeah, I know. It is supposed to calibrate by monitoring the idle, air intake, etc. It is something I have been thinking about getting for some time, just not sure if it is worth the 70, and the upgrades they send you is the actual chip.

This thing has had me wondering how every since I found it.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:22 AM

Hey, found something on ebay possibly similar to the volo on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEX-Smart-C...emZ170267566554 by looking at his feedback they go for around 20 bucks
Old 10-05-2008, 03:20 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent 2.0L

Buy one and let us know how it works out. Get a before and after dyno.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 AM

anyone looked into one of these yet?