Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Alternator Stuffed

Old 04-03-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sup guys,

my alternator is not charging my battery, the charge light doesn't even show when I turn the ignition. I think this is my second alternator that has went bust in all the 4 years I have had it. But this current one its just over a year old, the one day everything was fine I parked the car for a week then drove it again and it was not charging the battery.

Please help I am fitting in a new one today but I just want to know what makes them get bust so quick.

hit me back...
Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I've had stock alternators last up to 240,000 miles!! The one in my nissan truck did! usually OEM's are built very well, and the rebuild's are just shite. The OEM in my tib lasted till 80,000 and 6 years, and since then, I've replaced once more at 115,000. So, the rebuild only lasted 35,000 miles. Same deal with my truck. OEM lasted 240,000 miles and 18 years!! I just had to replace the rebuilt this year with only another 15,000 miles/3 years on the truck. Only good thing is they are easy to replace and free if you opted for the lifetime replacement at your local parts store.

There are a number of things that can make your rebuild bust early. A bad/old battery, corroded cables, excessive heat (headers or Turbo exhaust piping are evil culprits), excessive water/dirt in the engine bay. Cant really think of anything else,. Oh yeah, those 15's you got in the trunk will destroy it as well! LOL! If you have a system in your car, you may be blowing alts because of excessive strain on the electrical system as well. Capacitors help, and when you really need juice, a second battery is almost always recommended. Make sure that your amp is efficient. I have had many different amps. Cheaper amps tend to be less efficient.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Well they fitted a new one yesterday - after 30 - 45 minutes of driving the car with the lights on the car stalled and wouldnt start battery dead... Took it back they say the new alternator has a factory fault going to pick it up now they have installed a new one.

Thanx for your info TibbyTib....
Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have two 15s and pound them harder than RED ZMAN on spongebob. My alternator's still good.

Is your battery good? New/old/upgraded/stock?

Is your engine bay spotless or filled with gunk and grime like mine? Several factors can determine the life of the alternator. It could be as simple as a bad ground.

I'd start buying alternators with a lifetime warranty on them. Might save you a few dollars in the long term. I swapped out my alternator at 130,000 miles but later found out it wasn't bad, just a bad ground that I fixed.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:17 PM

What brand alternator are you getting, and from where? That may be the problem if you're getting duralast or some sh!tty brand. Go with a visteon alternator, or OEM. Nothing else. My track record with visteon is amazing. There's only ever been one visteon alternator that I've ever had to replace, and I've installed a ton at the old shop.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Autozone sells alternators w/ lifetime warrenties. I had an electrical problem in my last car and went through 1 alt/battery a year, and it was nice to walk in with the old one and walk out with the new w/out paying a dime.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Same warranty on a visteon. However, I'd take it even if it didn't have the warranty, since it's alot nicer to not have to walk into autozone with a busted alternator in the first place laugh.gif

Hell, it's nice to not have to walk into autozone at all!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I just ebayed one from a newer elantra. seems to be doing good so far. it was like 30-40 shipped.