Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Alpine problem solved

Old 07-28-2002, 09:19 PM
Jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine problem solved

Ive just been talking to a guy that tunes a lot of the cars for British racing as i thought i would pay the extra cash to get a profesional one to do it and i found one actually happy to do a Hyundai.

Anyway talking to him about the problems with stuters and misfires etc and i mentioned about the system dumping fuel at WOT because of the open loop mode, and instantly he said yep thats a common problem with conversions. The way you get around it is you get the car to go open loop mode as soon as 1ps of boost is reached. He tried to explain it to me but i have to admit it went a little over my head. Something to do with the fact that one sensor says open loop and the lambder(spelt wronge) sensor goes **** and tries to withdraw all of the fuel so they cause various problems down the line do that and tune it properly and the system will be spot on. Theres no other way to get a good working unit with the open loop system operating as it normaly should.

Anyway he said its not a problem to do but he wants the car for 2 days one to asses what is needed and a day to tune it and he guarentees it will be spot on.Just thought i would pass this onto people with the alpine problems as soon as i find out exactly how he does it i will pass it on but i cant even get booked in untill october he is so buisy. Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:21 PM

It should go into open loop as soon as it senses WOT.

But I think that this is far from solved using just the Unichip... what he needs is a Siemens ECU reprogramer. They do make them here in Korea... without it, he will have trouble using the stock ECU to make all the necessary changes.

Since you are in England you may be a special case where a Korean spec modified ECU may work in your older MAP sensored car.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:13 PM
Jon

The fact that it goes to wot and to open loop is the problem not the solution the solution they use is to make it go into open loop as soon as 1ps of boost is apliad then tune it from there so that the system does not get all confused between the different sensor readings. He also says its easily done with the unichip the chip is not the problem the problem is knowing how to use it on different systems and hyundai is not done very often by people so there is not that much experiance on what to do. He says he has done several stock systems and xorros final remapping of her super charger no probs.

They are also the firm that Hyundai uk had work on the cars before MSD did the F2 evo and they confirmed that Hyundai are lying through thier teeth about the power figures whatever yours has take abou 15% off and thats the true power.Also the larger cam losses power without an engine remap so the F2 that i own is as we feared is slightly less powerfull at lower revs with the tiniest bit more at top end.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:23 AM

Jon,

I am very interested and hope that the shop has much success with your retune.

Any and all information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I'll pass any / all information along to the shop that is (hopefully) going to retune mine.

Thanks and good luck.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:08 PM

So he is going to keep the car from going into open loop when WOT? What happens during the brief time that your car is WOT but not yet making 1 psi of boost? Will you get tip in throttle detonation?

I HOPE he has a ECU reprogrammer. It will be difficult to control when the ECU goes into open loop without it. I really think the best option for you is to ditch the Unichip and go with larger injectors and an ECU reprogram.

The Beta's seem to have expected hp numbers.. now some of the other engines... definately exaggerated numbers.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:31 AM
Jon

As i said before i dont know exactly how he does it as half his explanations went over my head however i understood the basics of what he was going to do.

So he is going to keep the car from going into open loop when WOT?
i never said that i said it was put into open loop as soon as possible ie as soon as 1ps of boost is reached.

What happens during the brief time that your car is WOT but not yet making 1 psi of boost?
This is all in the way they change the programme in the chip with the vacume sensor i dont know how yet but he does.

I HOPE he has a ECU reprogrammer. It will be difficult to control when the ECU goes into open loop without it.
Yes the company has the ability to reproggramme just about any chip due to the wide variety of race cars they work on. Plus as they were the firm that worked on the coupe for hyundai uk they can reprogramme the stock chip as well, which he will be doing as it is hard to get a good result working of the unichip alone so they are both reprogrammed.

I really think the best option for you is to ditch the Unichip and go with larger injectors and an ECU reprogram.
As he agreed with there is no point in doing this unless i want rediculas amounts of bhp and at no point do i want a 500bhp car. Max of about 250 in the future is all i aim to get tops. Its my only car and i dont want to drive around in a 500bhp monster with a wife and two kids in it. For what i need its a case of getting the two systems to work together properly and for this i have kit that will work fine for my family limitations.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:58 AM

Good luck Jon, please keep us (me ) informed.

In all the reading I've done on the Dastek (Unichip) site I was under the impression it (meaning the Unichip) could overlay any mapping so why is it necessary to re-program the OEM chip when supposedly the Unichip can alter any of the stock settings?

From the Racers Group web page
The UNICHIP is much more than just a *chip*. In fact it is a fully functioning computer which is added to the vehicle's existing engine control unit (ECU). Apart from controlling general timing and mixtures it can provide idling control, drive extra injectors, fully control timing functions, eliminate speed governors, etc. It can be more accurately described as a *Piggyback* computer.

The UNICHIP gets wired into the existing ECU wiring harness. If it is removed from the vehicle it returns back to the standard ECU settings. If the UNICHIP is specifically programmed with zeros the vehicle will be standard. Only areas which need additional tuning need to be altered. Many of the aftermarket components that many of you have already installed on your car can now be used to their fullest capabilities.
Thanks