Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Air problems

Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Air problems

For a recap, I own a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon with the 2.0, auto (hope to remedy that next year).

So, I ran into a bit of a problem... I had hydrolocked my engine after driving into the severely flooded parking lot at my apartment complex, and even though I tried to salvage the engine after a couple of months it blew.

I installed a new engine recently, along with a set of ebay headers and exhaust. I also have installed the AIRRAM and a CAI. The car fires up fine, but after a minute at idle will stall out (more like flat out stop) and if I give it gas it does the same thing. It is not giving a CEL.

Seems like a vacuum or airflow problem, but not sure. Any ideas on what could be wrong? It is possible I have an airline plugged back in wrong, but I think I hooked everything back up properly.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM

No ideas anyone? The car is at my dad's, so I haven't had a chance to get back over there to look at it more in depth. If it isn't a vacuum/air problem, what else could it be? Plugged fuel injector, thereby improper fuel/air ratio when you try to give it gas? I really don't have a clue at this point. Are there any ways to test for problems to do with fuel or fuel/air ratio problems?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Im not sure what the problem is but I do have a question, do you have spark and fuel after the car stalls out?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

It might still be giving a trouble code without illuminating the CEL, so check that if you haven't already

Check for fuel and spark

Remove the aftermarket intake and try running it with the stock items

Do you still have all of your 02 sensors in place and working properly with your new exhaust?

If I had to guess, it'd be your crank angle or cam angle sensors, when they start to go bad, they will still work when cold. But check for fuel and spark after it dies, that will greatly narrow it down.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Well I did discover part of the problem. After pulling the plugs there is water in cylinder #4. Looks like I will be changing a head gasket. Ugh. thanks for the great new engine! Plus the housing for the thermostat is leaking like a sive. at least I have a spare with the old block... and it is reading a CEL now. Just need to run the codes and see what it says... but first the head gasket.