Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Aftermarket FPR - Vortech FMU?

Old 08-07-2002, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket FPR - Vortech FMU?

I am going to be running a turbo (TDO5H-14B)pretty soon but I'm still twisted on whether to use an aftermarket FPR or not. The FPR I am looking at is the Vortech FMU. Is there anyone here who has had experience with this FPR? What is the level of tuning required? From what I have 'heard' it's a b!tch to tune. Remember, I have the Mitsu-engine in my 95 Elantra. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Also, what would make you need to change to an aftermarket FPR? At what point does the stock one crap out?
Old 08-07-2002, 06:01 AM
Red

The stock one doesn't crap out. You buy an aftermarket FMU to increase the pressure on the fuel rail, making the injectors squirt more fuel per open-event.

If you jack the pressure more than about 8-10psi over stock, you HAVE to replace the stock fuel pump. Replace it with a proper Walboro high-flow unit that can deal with the added load.

As for what FMU to purchase, get one that's adjustable. That way you can crank it down or up however you need.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:59 AM

Thanks Red and thanks for the reply to my PM too.