Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

97 elentra

Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 lentra
Default 97 elentra

I have a 97 Hyundai Elantra and I'm curious about what upgrades I can do to it he has a 1.8 liter in it.

if I could do head swaps off of other Motors? If so which ones?

if I were to swap Motors what would Bolt in?

Is there any difference between a 1.8 wiring harness and a 2.0 wiring harness?

Can I upgrade the injectors?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally Posted by 97idelentra
I have a 97 Hyundai Elantra and I'm curious about what upgrades I can do to it he has a 1.8 liter in it.

Intake, exhaust, header, cam, bored out intake manifold and throttle body, plugs, plug wires, built block (pistons, rings, etc), nitrous, turbo install....

if I could do head swaps off of other Motors? If so which ones?

It'll cost you more money to drop in a different engine or a head versus just building the one you already have. If you really want to swap engines, then a 2.0 would be the easiest, minimal cost and time. But don't expect any kind of a big power boost.

if I were to swap Motors what would Bolt in?

You could drop in an older 4G63, from a Mitsubishi Eclipse, which has been done on the older Elantras. But again, expect it to be a bit complicated, you'll need a stand alone tuning opion like a Haltech, and you'll be doing a lot of fabrication (engine mounts).

Is there any difference between a 1.8 wiring harness and a 2.0 wiring harness?

Pretty sure they are the same, but the ECU is different.

Can I upgrade the injectors?

You can upgrade them to anything you want, but you'll run rich unless you tune the engine to handle the extra fuel. Upgrading injectors are only needed if you're doing forced induction (large nitrous shot, turbo or supercharger)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I recently picked up a 2.0L beta1 for $75, and the beta2 from an 06 elantra I snagged a few years ago was $300.

These motors come cheap and you can build and learn while still enjoying the car. For a first build shoot for a modest goal on a small turbo. You can source a lot of parts for fairly cheap and many of the internals are good enough for even a decent build.

It all comes down to goals. Do you want an enjoyably daily driver? A track only trash car? etc?