Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

4-2-1 or 4-1

Old 08-02-2001, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-2-1 or 4-1

ok i am about to buy some headers...and i need to knwo what type is the best for my car.....i dont plan to do a turbo install but i do what something that will give me a boost...i have a automatic...so i need some help.....
Old 08-02-2001, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

for the auto, I would reccomend the Shark Racing 4-2-1 headers. BatLord got decent gains with those.

There are also the HVE 4-1 headers and the Shark Racing 4-1 headers.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:49 AM

what kind of gains would i get with the 4-2-1 and with the 4-1 and r the 4-1 legal????
Old 08-03-2001, 02:50 AM

Gains will be 5 to 10 hp, depending on other mods, how you drive, quality of fuel, etc. Bat Lord got 8 hp dyno'd results in his automatic with an intake (he had the 4-2-1 headers). One like mine with a bored TB, bored IM, and cold air intake may make more, but not much. I'm hoping for 8.

As for legalities, it depends on which state you are in. They are not CARB certified, from what I understand. But they should be "legal" most places. Some states (like here in VA) have weird laws making any aftermarket exhaust illegal. This is not enforced, but it gives police leverage if someone's car is too loud, they are racing on the streets, etc.

Anyway, headers will make your car loud, so be prepared. When in doubt ask a cop, look on your state's website, or ask the DMV (tuning shops in the area may have this information as well).

Good luck.
a
Old 08-04-2001, 02:08 AM

i have the 2.0 5 speed 97,
do you think i should go with the 4-1 headers,

and how much louder is going to make it,
i have a MBRP catback exhaust on now.

is worth the extra hp to get the headers.

Thanks,
ICE
Old 08-04-2001, 03:02 AM

I'm planing on purchasing 4-2-1 Headers for my auto and I live in VA (Curtis). I would like to know if I install the header and remove 1 cat will I still be able to pass emmissions with the one remaining cat? A Honda friend of mine said the two cats were for "ULEV" (a Honda designation), but by removing one cat I would be "LEV" (another Honda thing). Does this sound right to you guys & girls?
Old 08-04-2001, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by 2K Wagon:
I'm planing on purchasing 4-2-1 Headers for my auto and I live in VA (Curtis). I would like to know if I install the header and remove 1 cat will I still be able to pass emmissions with the one remaining cat? A Honda friend of mine said the two cats were for "ULEV" (a Honda designation), but by removing one cat I would be "LEV" (another Honda thing). Does this sound right to you guys & girls?

Smack your friends up would you? Tell them to stop sniffing their tail pipes.! LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle) is for ANY car that can meet the "LEV" emission requirements. ULEV (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) is for ANY can that can meet th "ULEV" emission requirements. LEV and ULEV are "Honda" just like gasoline is "Honda". MORONS.

Unless you bought your car in Cali, you only have 1 cat converter. Granted, you have 2 resonators, down there, but only the 1 cat up front. That means you will have to move/replace that front cat if you want to stay emissions legal.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 08-04-2001, 06:23 AM

i have art sports 4-1 stainless steel headers. i also have 1.8L auto. i did notice a gain. how much? who knows. it could also be in my head. personally i would say if you want guaranteed performance then dont worry about headers. 1-5 extra hp? wow. can anyone really even feel 1-5 extra hp? basically what im saying is if your gonna get one. really doesnt matter unless your hardcore racing. either way really aint gonna help that much smile.gif IMHO
Old 08-06-2001, 02:01 AM

I only have 1 cat (under the stereo, below the car), and I pass emissions. However, I do not know which (if you have Cali - 2 cats) cat is better, or if they are the same performance-wise.

You will have to make sure that your primary O2 sensor is before the cat and the second one is after it. Otherwise, it will throw you a CEL.

Good luck,
a
Old 08-06-2001, 04:24 AM

If you have a 99+ its worth even retrofitting to the 96 Elantra "semi Header" because the manifold and the cat are one assembly. There is a 90 degree bend at the end of the vertical cat. Imagine what that does to the hot gas rushing to escape out of there..........